Mfransham's Reviews > Ethan Cadfael: The Battle Prince

Ethan Cadfael by S.M. Carrière

U 50x66

Ethan Cadfael: The Battle Prince

What a joyous, fun read. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and couldn't have asked for a better light hearted romp through Ottawa. Before I go further I will divide my review into two parts. The critical review where I will look at the book from a critical perspective and the expected review where I will look at the book from what I was expecting to read.

Critical Review: From a critical standpoint this book is average. It has a bunch of plot holes and largely one dimensional characters. None of the characters really grow or change. There are no overarching moral quandary for the main characters to overcome and frankly I was cheering for the Fir Bolg because they seemed intelligent and cunning. The human characters are silly, bumbling and ultimately seem to win purely on luck.

Score: 2.5 out of 5

Expected Review: I went in with the expectation of a light, fun book that would be perfect for reading by the fire on a cool winter night. Sure the characters weren't as developed as some others but I wasn't looking that. I was looking for a really enjoyable story filled with action and magic and this book delivers in spades. From the opening pages of the book the pace is set and never slows down. You will be involved in a race through both a modern city and a distant land that will keep you turning pages. If you are like me you will be cheering for the Fir Bolg the entire time as they cunningly spin trap after trap winning fight after fight. I loved the book and as long as you are looking for a wild, fun romp you will love it too.

Score 4 out of 5

I can't wait to read the "Summer Bird."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ethan Cadfael.

Started Reading