Adam 's Reviews > My Brother Sam Is Dead

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier

did not like it
Recommended for: no one

** spoiler alert ** This book is about a guy who's brother, Sam, is dead. Wait, he's not dead yet. He dies on the very last page of the book. Another title for this book could very be something along the lines of "My Brother Sam is in the Army and he's not Coming Home Until He Dies." That just about sums the book up. This book doesn't really have a plot. It's really about a guy (who's name I can't remember) who's brother goes off to fight in the army. After that, the guy talks to Sam's old girlfriend, gets his father killed, runs a tavern, talks to a general, and a whole lot of other stuff that has no overall relevence to the plot. If you're into the Revolotionary War, try something else, like, a history book or something. It's probably more interesting, doesn't need a plot, historically accurate, and has some pictures of what the war was like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brother Sam Is Dead.

Finished Reading
October 21, 2007 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Emilie[-MLE-] I agree . . . mostly. we read it in class, and It gave some nice insight into revolutionary war life. the audio version is REALLY lame. it's this crackly-sounding old gut who pauses for about 7 seconds between every sentence. literally.

message 2: by Jill (new) - rated it 1 star

Jill yeah I absolutly hated this book I had to read it for school ugh!!

Damien S. wow thanks for giving away the whole book

Luis Ronquillo I disagree with you, I found the book very interesting. Even though I had to read this book O thought it was pretty cool. It gives you a very discriptive view of what troubles a family during the American Revolution would go through. reflecting on what you said about the title of the book. The reason of why I think that the authors named the book My brother Sam is Dead is because to Tim's father Sam is practicaly dead to him of that they foreshadow the events that take place at the end of this book. To what you said about some parts of the story not being relevant to the whole plot of the story, the book to me is like in the form of an autobiograhy mixed with a diary type format. So overall I completely disagree with your review if the book.

message 5: by Laurien (new)

Laurien Thanks for giving away the whole book. You couldn't have made a disclaimer saying that there were spoilers? I hate when people do this.

Maureen I agree that this review should have a disclaimer. I am very disappointed to know what happens. I have been reading this aloud to my 5th grade class, enjoying that none of us knew for certain about Sam.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Add a spoiler alert to your review! I remember reading this book when I was in elementary school and loving it (although, it was somewhat depressing). Now you guys get to read it in class! I'm so jealous!

Charlie Apparently you didn't read the whole thing cause he does at home. Apparently you read it convinced it had to be bad when honestly it's a good book

Vihan Virmani You don't know what you are talkin about you need to read the book properly before you put in stupid comments

message 11: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Lang i totally agree this is a great book it has so much more than what you said it has so much more than you put down!