Leesa's Reviews > Hyperion

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Dec 08, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: bookclub-pick, audiobook

I'm ranking this more like 3.5 stars for now. The stories that I liked (Priest's tale, Scholar's tale, Detective's tale), I liked a lot--the first two especially affected me. I didn't necessarily like the Poet's tale but I liked him as a character a lot. Such a contradictory character: blunt, spare with words, vulgar; not something we usually associate with poetry. The Soldier's tale and the Consul's tale I just couldn't keep focused on.

So much to think about, especially with regard to religion, obedience, rote vs. ritual. Dure and Sol are fabulous characters.

However, the rest of the story bored me and I found my mind wandering a lot, so this keeps me from ranking it a 4 star.

I expect my opinion of this book will change as I work through the series. Much like I came to appreciate The Gunslinger after getting full into the Dark Tower series, I'm sure this will be the same. I plan to buy the ebook version of this story as reference once I'm ready to start on the rest of the Hyperion story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hyperion.

December 8, 2009 – Shelved