Conrad Hall's Reviews > Don't Get Scrooged: How to Thrive in a World Full of Obnoxious, Incompetent, Arrogant, and Downright Mean-Spirited People

Don't Get Scrooged by Richard Carlson

U 50x66

did not like it
Recommended for: no one

There are some pieces in this book I am glad to see. The practice of "Sing Your Way to Happiness" definitely works. I was once standing at a transit station with girlfriend. It was cold, and near Christmas. Folks were grumbling because the bus was late.

As we waited, I sang "Do You Hear What I Hear" for my girlfriend. I sang gently because we were standing close to stay warm, yet others seemed to hear me. The song changed the attitude of people waiting, and one person even said thank you for the song.

Even with the good bits, this book is not what was expected at all.

From "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff," Dr. Carlson seems have to gone all the way to "Step aside and allow nasty people to have their way."

In one story, Dr. Carlson allows someone to jump ahead in line. When the staff person tries to set things right, Dr. Carlson stifles the staff person's efforts by deliberately tacking the other tack. He allows the bully to jump the line.

Indeed, Dr. Carlson acknowledges "Some would say that this was weak of me, or that I taught the bully he could get away with bullying, or even that I'd done wrong by lying.

"Fine. What I know is that I prevented a two-way - and possibly three-way - fist fight."

It seems Dr. Carlson has forgotten a simple truth. All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. Instead, he allowed his fear to rule so thoroughly that Dr. Carlson claims the ability to see the future as justification for his actions.

Yet Dr. Carlson is not satisfied with doing nothing. He put a good man down by stifling the effort of the staff person to make things right. He did, indeed, lie. He showed the bully not only that bullying is acceptable, but that Dr. Carlson wholeheartedly supports bullies.

I recommend passing over this book. For what little useful information it contains, it provides a vicious and cruel justification for the actions of a coward and fool. It seems to me that Dr. Carlson has become someone who would say "You are wrong to tell someone else they are wrong" while believing himself the standard bearer of peace and good manners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Get Scrooged.

December 15, 2013 – Started Reading