Rob's Reviews > Shooting Digital: Pro Tips for Taking Great Pictures with Your Digital Camera

Shooting Digital by Mikkel Aaland

bookshelves: photography, own, on-going, 2007
Recommended for: ambitious but ultimately amateur photographers
Read 2 times. Last read November 1, 2007.

I found this to be a pretty well-balanced book that is targeted at amateur photographers that are trying to take their photos to the next level. The book is technique driven rather than focused on the hardware. Because the chapters are organized topically, it's easy to skip over some to get down to the meat of what interests you -- for example, I skipped over the portrait photography chapters to move on to the landscape/nature photography and techniques for night shots. The book is full of good tips and is fairly accessible, reiterating certain tips in-context, re-covering some basics even though the introduction says that it assumes you (the reader) will already know about them.

The book's biggest strength is definitely that it is topically driven -- having the focus on the techniques means that most of the tips will apply to you regardless of if you're shooting with a pocket-sized point-and-shoot, a "prosumer", or high-end DSLR.

It also does a decent job of covering "digital darkroom" work such as creating HDR images, re-touching white balance, etc.

The frustration I experienced with this book was that I was looking for more information about when to use specific aperture/shutter speed combinations and what kind of lenses work for specific situations. That said, the introduction does specifically state that it expects that you already have a decent background in photography and working knowledge of those techniques. To the author's credit, while he does not dedicate a chapter to apertures and shutter speeds, he does bring up "recommended settings" in context with detailed explanations of why he recommends them. There is also a few pages that detail "focal length equivalents" with respect to lenses.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shooting Digital.

Finished Reading
October 21, 2007 – Shelved
October 21, 2007 – Shelved as: photography
Started Reading
November 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
November 5, 2008 – Shelved as: own
November 8, 2008 –
page 5
1.74% "got the 2nd ed. as a birthday present; now re-reading."
November 8, 2008 –
page 21
November 11, 2008 –
page 25
December 20, 2008 –
page 46
16.03% "good tips on portraits (I think I skipped this the 1st time around)"
March 8, 2009 –