Tommy /|\'s Reviews > Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry

Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry by Joanna van der Hoeven

I picked this up from Amazon's Kindle bookstore, thinking that the small 74-page size, and the relatively low-cost of the book would make it something close to a pamphlet rather than a book. Was I ever wrong. While the 74-page size made for some really quick reading, the material is extremely deep and powerfully full of meaning. The start of the book steps into the concepts of Zen and then walks the reader through the concepts of Druidry. Neither are extremely detailed, but rather very well thought out introduction into the concepts. Once past this point, Joanna spends time showing how Zen and Druidry integrate quite well, mapping out how the five Noble Precepts can be utilized within the framework of Druidry.

One of the most powerful parts that I came away with from this book was the idea of "living in the moment" - embracing that each moment in life is unique within the ever-changing, ever-shifting environment that we live in. Many of the meditation techniques that she detailed here, I had already been utilizing in my own personal belief structure and druidry exercises in my Bardic Grade for the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids. While the terminology was a little strange to me, the concepts were the same familiar ones that I have been embracing and utilizing for years.

Not only am I happy to have this particular book in my library, I whole heartedly recommend it to others looking for new Paths to explore in their own personal spirituality. It may be 74 pages in length (and as such is the only qualm I have with the book), but it will certainly open up new ways to view your spirituality, yourself, and the world around you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pagan Portal-Zen Druidry.

December 27, 2013 – Shelved