Heather (ChannelHMC)'s Reviews > The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Dec 27, 2013

Read 2 times

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a hauntingly beautiful novel.

This is my first experience with Neil Gaiman and will not be my last. I am hooked. He writes in such a powerfully poetic way that pulls you in and refuses to let go. Not that I was struggling to get away.

This book follows a man who returns to the place of his childhood home. He drives past where his house use to be, and on to the end of the lane, where the house of the women who changed his life still stands. We are transported back to his childhood and the events and people who brought to his life, fear, sadness, magic, friendship and love.

It reads very much like a dream, where you float along, but feel very much a part of the world. Everything feels so vivid and real.

This book was filled with childhood wonder, magic and the mysteries that get lost on the road to adulthood. There was so much whimsy, heartache and sacrifice. And I feel somewhere among all that emotion...hope. Hope for the day when we can grasp what we have lost and appreciate what we have been given.

"She said, "No", but she said it kindly. "You get on with your own life. Lettie gave it to you. You just have to grow up and try and be worth it."

Oh man. My heart ached so much as I read through to the last page. There was just so much power in these pages.

I. Love. This. Book. and it plowed right through to my top 5 reads of 2014.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Finished Reading
December 27, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 27, 2013 – Shelved
August 10, 2014 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 10, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
January 16, 2015 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)