Fabian's Reviews > Little Women

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Yes, yes! I AM a grownass man reading this, but I'm not ashamed. I also read the "Twilight" sa(ha-ha!)ga & a bunch of Charlaine Harris as well, remember? Some rules simply do not apply.

What I tried to do here was dispel the extra melodrama and embrace the cut-outs (fat trimmed out) of the Winona Ryder film. I was on the hunt for all the "new" (ha!) stuff that the regular person, well informed of the plot involving four young girls growing up (or in the case of Beth, not) never even knew existed. But it seems that the film did a great job not adding many more scenes than direly needed (like the Byrne-Ryder night at the opera scene-- it explains why she didn't choose Laurie after all) nor taking indispensable scenes from the century-&-a-half old novel to the cutting room floor. Alas, there's a good reason why Entertainment Weekly once decreed that the film was a great comfort to all post-911 victims. The story has no great battles to speak of... no violence, no terrible disasters. The minutiae is symbolic of fragile domestic existences... important and very fun to read
about--this coming from a Bridget and Carrie Bradshaw fan of course. "Little Women" is at its core all about Old School American values, such as temperance, forgiveness, hard work. It has astute lessons aplenty--to rival even old Aesopus himself. Laurie and Amy have the best lines, and there are plenty of groans amidst cute vignettes and harsh but necessary life lessons--for Americans and non alike. This is relevant today, more so than "On the Road" or other so called quintessential American classics--& that's a genuine PLUS.

This one stands as outstanding soap opera theatrics woven intelligently with American history herself. Good stuff, like a wise mentor of American Lit would say. Also, mega appropriate for the season!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women.

December 27, 2013 – Started Reading
December 27, 2013 – Shelved
January 8, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri EVERY American girl should read this book. You have to view it thru that lens. Let us know...

Fabian Sisterhood is amazing! The book thus far follows the Winona Ryder movie so close is even more comforting. I really dig it--its nonviolence, astute morals, etc.
F.
P.S. Write me more!

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri I like that version of the book, but I also like the one with June Allison. Actually I always watch every adaptation. The book is a treasure historically and culturally. It made me want sisters!

message 4: by Salathiel (new)

Salathiel You're my inspiration, bro. I own and been meaning to read this, but I always opt for something for more "manly." Will definitely try to read this one in 2014.Here's to not being ashamed!

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri wow! I wish I could express myself like this. I am glad you could see the value in it. I too value it more than On the Road, though that book is definitely a precursor to the nonconformist 60's. Little Women values girls tho, while Kerouac is such a misogynist it is hard to stand today. Did you see the film version of that movie? What are your thoughts?

Cecily It was too twee for this grown ass woman! Maybe not being from the US was part of the problem.

message 7: by RB (new)

RB You know what, you're not alone Fabian. This has always been a guilty pleasure, too.

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter Loved the review. Being a grown ass man is the appeal, it's something we are not supposed to read apparently according to the guys at work, but it pulls you in. Had the pleasure of reading this as a birthday gift from my youngest daughter who loved it.

I think everyone should read it probably the most non threatening, inoffensive book one could read.

Fabian RB wrote: "You know what, you're not alone Fabian. This has always been a guilty pleasure, too."
Thanks! Love the movie as well. F.

Fabian Peter wrote: "Loved the review. Being a grown ass man is the appeal, it's something we are not supposed to read apparently according to the guys at work, but it pulls you in. Had the pleasure of reading this as ..."
Agree with ya, 100%. f.

Kressel Housman I was a student in Israel when that movie came out, and my friends took me to see it for my birthday. It was the one and only movie I saw that year.

Trish The first time I read this book I was 9 years old and fell in love. Actually, from the first read, Amy was my favorite March sister (and I was rooting for Laurie and Amy to end up together all along!). As a full-grown adult I still pick it up every now and then to re-read my favorite parts, usually Laurie and Amy's reunions in France. It's such a heartwarming and timeless story. I'm glad you were able to enjoy Little Women for the adorable novel that it is.

message 13: by RB (new)

RB Thanks! Love the movie as well. F. "

Yes, me too, Miss Ryder makes many good and bad things more watchable.

message 14: by Kenny (new) - added it

Kenny I think it is great that you read this book Fabian. It has been on my list for years and I think I make read this winter rather than my annual excursion with Dickens. I have a friend who reads this once a year for no reason other than it makes her feel good.

Fabian Kenny wrote: "I think it is great that you read this book Fabian. It has been on my list for years and I think I make read this winter rather than my annual excursion with Dickens. I have a friend who reads this..."

You must read this.

message 16: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Fabian, love this review! This is actually a book I never got around too--clearly a mistake to be rectified.

Fabian Christine wrote: "Fabian, love this review! This is actually a book I never got around too--clearly a mistake to be rectified."
Yes! And the autumn/winter is THE BEST TIME to read it. So go for it, girl! f

message 18: by Mrs. Danvers (new)

Mrs. Danvers You might consider March, by Gwendolyn Brooks. It's the story told from the perspective of the girls' father. I rarely like this kind of modern addition to classics (sorry PD James, but Death In Pemberley was just painful), but March is a significant exception to that rule.

Fabian Thanks for the recommendation! I would definitely enjoy the transcendentalist take on this. f

message 20: by L.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.P. Logan You know, I've never actually read this book. I think it's about time I changed that.

message 21: by Francesca (last edited Sep 16, 2016 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Francesca four young girls growing up (or in the case of Beth, NOT)

How dare you! That was uncalled for.

Great review, as always! (apart from that one line but I'll let you off this time)
I read this when I was about 11 and I loved it. I feel like I'm definitely due a reread.

Fabian Francesca wrote: " four young girls growing up (or in the case of Beth, NOT)

How dare you! That was uncalled for.

I read this whe..."
Haha! Thanks for letting me off the hook! Yeah, I know. The part in the movie where that particular event occurs... let me just tell ya, I have to be funny in order to not tear up! And yeah. I too want to reread this in a coupla years. Cheers, f.

message 23: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Clemence One of my favourites, absolutely! Glad you enjoyed this one, Fabian! Thanks for reminding me of it..I will have to re-read it for sure.

Fabian Erin wrote: "One of my favourites, absolutely! Glad you enjoyed this one, Fabian! Thanks for reminding me of it..I will have to re-read it for sure."

Have you read any of the sequels?

message 25: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Clemence Fabian wrote: "Erin wrote: "One of my favourites, absolutely! Glad you enjoyed this one, Fabian! Thanks for reminding me of it..I will have to re-read it for sure."

Have you read any of the sequels?"

Alas, Fabian, I have not. I really got into this book when I was a kid, but didn't have the time or interest then to read the sequels.

Fabian Hmmm... Kinda sounds like a challenge. I think I'll read Jos Boys/little men? this holiday season. You just gave me 2016's christmas read!

message 27: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Clemence Fabian wrote: "Hmmm... Kinda sounds like a challenge. I think I'll read Jos Boys/little men? this holiday season. You just gave me 2016's christmas read!"

lol glad I could help!

Stacy I do love this book- I plan to reread it myself soon as well. It will be like visiting old friends. : )

message 29: by Piepie (new)

Piepie Little Women is one of my favorites! I love revisiting these four girls :)

message 30: by Amber (new)

Amber The whole Little Women trilogy is good but my fave of the books is Little Women and Jo's Boys

message 31: by Sasha (new)

Sasha same amber

message 32: by C Freethy (new)

C Freethy Yo.
C.

message 33: by Roqaia (new) - added it

Roqaia M. where can I order this book??

Jonny Parshall I read this book two autumns ago and totally loved it. Zero shame. Grown ass men UNITE.

message 35: by Blair (new)

Blair Nice review but that's a pass for me lol