Adele Stratton's Reviews > She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana

She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel

1202084
Dec 06, 2009

liked it
Read in December, 2009

(Three and a half stars). Somewhat of a sequel to Kimmel’s A Girl Named Zippy, this is the story of her mother who, with the help of her women church friends, got herself “up off the couch” (and out of a deep depression) and got herself through college, then slowly, eventually out of a long but unhealthy marriage. I enjoyed Zippy when I read it a couple of years ago, and even tried to read this immediately afterward, but found I couldn’t deal with more of her style so soon. Maybe too much of a ... strong ... thing. That is, a strong style of light, humorous understatement to describe what was most likely a whole lot of ugliness. I shouldn’t have been surprised to see Augusten Burroughs listed in her acknowledgements--it seems they are in a writing group together. Their styles are comparable and have the same effect on me: I like it very much, but also tire of it fairly quickly and need time between doses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Got Up Off the Couch.