Elizabeth's Reviews > The Girl On Legare Street

The Girl On Legare Street by Karen   White

Dec 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

I have yet to enjoy a Karen White book as much as I enjoyed her first ones (e.g., Memory of Water and The HOuse on Tradd Street). This sequel to The House on Tradd Street has, on the plus side, Karen White's lovely depictions of old Charleston, and the author is good at evoking feelings and images. I was also glad to "meet" the protagonist's psychic mother who was conspicuously absent in the first book, and we are helped to understand why she had to abandon Melanie at such a young age.

I found Melanie's neurotic personality to be very irritating and forced, almost as if it were supposed to be a comic element. For me, it didn't work, and while the love tensions was built between her and Jack, I wanted to tell Jack to run away and find someone lower maintenance.

The story was compelling, though, and I have always been fascinated by old South hauntings and those who appear to be sensitive to spirits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl On Legare Street.

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 21, 2009 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elizabeth I have yet to enjoy a Karen White book as much as I did her earlier ones, but I seem to be attracted to books about ghosts and the occult, so that part of the story was appealing, as was the Charleston setting. The uptight heroine's attitude was neurotic and got on my nerves. This is a sequel to The House on Tradd Street, so if you've read that one, you'll probably enjoy this too since you get to know the heroine's psychic mother who was conspicuously absent in the first book.