Patrick's Reviews > Broodhollow Book 1: Curious Little Thing

Broodhollow Book 1 by Kris Straub

bookshelves: books-i-would-blurb

I bought this book on kickstarter without ever having read the Webcomic.

That said, it wasn't a big risk for me. I've read a lot of Kris Straub's work over the years and really enjoyed it. Giving him some money in support of his project is a bit of a no-brainer. I like to support people who are making a living off their art.

So what is Broodhollow?

It's hard to describe. It would be doing it a great disservice to refer to it as "Lovecraftian" because people think that just refers to Cthulhu, and Cthulhu shit is really played out. At this point, I'm tired of even the good stuff, which is rare.

So this isn't that. It's got an interesting creepy, surrealness to it. Like "Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath," if you know what that is.

Was it good?

Absolutely. I loved it. It's clever, funny, and original. It's got its very own mix of humor, horror, and mystery. And the art is very, very nicely done. Never self-indulgent, but cleverly varied to good effect in the story.

As soon as I finished it, I wanted to go and read more of it (So I did: Hopping online and reading up on the webcomic. http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/) If the second book was out, I would already be reading it, rather than writing this review.

You should give it a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broodhollow Book 1.

Started Reading
December 26, 2013 – Shelved
December 26, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-would-blurb
December 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Zebra smiley face I think the book was written quite well I wish there were more conflicts but overall it was good

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Latta Zebra smiley face wrote: "I think the book was written quite well I wish there were more conflicts but overall it was good"

Keep in mind the story's not over yet; in fact, the mysteries of the town are just beginning to unravel even as more questions are raised.

RandolphCarter I completely agree with you there Pat. I used to feel so excited when someone put a "Lovecraft" tag onto a book, but then after reading said book i just want to slap them repeatedly across the face with a dead fish. WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO GET IT RIGHT!??!?