Joel Tumes's Reviews > Jupiter War

Jupiter War by Neal Asher

liked it

The Departure series is well named. It certainly seems like a departure from Asher's normal style.
Not that it's short on action, but it's unlike his regular gore soaked escapades of heroic figures in several ways.
For a start this series seems a little heavy handed with Libertarian political philosophy. To the point of being cliched. Not just with the demonisation of Government and environmental regulation, or the salvific nature of free enterprise, but even the form of autistic "ultrarationalism" taken by the central character as a result of his "godlike" intelligence. The preachy political Jeremiad seemed even more jarring as Neal Asher's political leanings came as a complete surprise to me. I certainly didn't pick up on it in previous novels, which all seem to be set in a vaguely socialist, post scarcity, utopia.
Jupiter War, the concluding chapter, also stands apart in another way. It reads quite a lot like a fantasy build journal of Asher's imaginary interstellar craft. A good thing if the speculative design of spacecraft is something that interests you, but otherwise...
Perhaps it's my own political bias coming into play, but I do think this is a step backward for Asher from his previous efforts. The characters less engaging, the political content lumbering and the action a little colder. Despite this criticism it is still an entertaining series, and maybe for Libertarian Sci-Fi fans (of whom there's no shortage) the political dogma is a plus (hey... some people think that Atlas Shrugged is a good book).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jupiter War.

Finished Reading