Kasia's Reviews > The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A.N. Roquelaure

Dec 06, 2009

bookshelves: recommended-by-others, sex-and-erotica, fairytales, bdsm, 1st-in-series
Recommended to Kasia by: Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Read in December, 2009

If you're looking for a good BDSM fiction, this is it. Otherwise - stay away. And I mean it!!! BDSM is an acquired taste and if you're not really into it, you'll find the book repulsive.

Now, if you're into love games and are fascinated by mild (or not so mild) pain in an erotic setting - you've got the right book. The fairytale, Sleeping Beauty, is used merely as a starting point, the story goes off on a tangent within the first few pages and then we're taken into the neighbouring kingdom with all its twisted customs.

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty is well planned out, with the right amount of plot, sex and romance. Much easier to get through than Interview with the vampire (which I found long and tiresome though inspiring too), from which I gather that Ann Rice got better skilled at expressing her thoughts. And boy, are those some sick thoughts! Makes sense that this was published this under a pen name. The subject matter is so extreme (not Bataille extreme, but still rather out there, even in comparison to her vampire books, which weren't all that well behaved either). Thanks for that Ann Rice, you perv, I really enjoyed it! Devoured this book in 3 short bursts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty.

Mary E. I agree with your review 100%. The entire series is delicious! I've re-read it several times. ;)

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally "3 short bursts" = :D

Kasia }:-D

message 4: by Daniel (last edited Dec 15, 2009 01:14PM) (new)

Daniel Sounds like you're a perv too, Kasia. Pot calling the kettle black. Or the sadist calling the dominatrix abusive. Or something.

Kasia I never said I wasn't, Daniel.
;)

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel That's hot!

Lila Baker Hot, hot, hot!!! In ways I didn't think I would find hot!

message 8: by Rakell (new) - added it

Rakell I hated it... One of the worst book I've ever read.

Abigayle I don't think you know what BDSM is.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Plummer Safe, Sane, Consensual?! This was abuse. Not BDSM.

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Carr The craziest sorry I have ever read! I actually liked it. The story, the characters, everything. Granted a bit twisted for some, but fascinating.

MyFairlLady Great review! This book really isn't for the faint of heart and you said it right out, I love it!! A.R. is my hero for letting her freak flag fly in this intriguing spin on an age old fairy tale (;

message 13: by Virginia (new) - added it

Virginia Thanks for providing an intelligent and non-hysterical review. I have added the book to my want list.

Robin Landry I loved this series....it was BDSM fantasy and nothing more.

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana Mae i thought bdsm was about consent of two parties... mutual pleasure of some sort... i think all "beauty" got from this was mental torture, degradation and abuse...