Josiphine/Tessa's Reviews > Magic Marks the Spot

Magic Marks the Spot by Caroline Carlson

it was ok
bookshelves: boring, pirates

Eh.

The letters and notices at the end of each chapter seemed interminable. I started to dread the end of the chapter because of them (then I started skipping them, tralala).

This was too unbelievable and ridiculous, and coming from me, that's saying a lot. I mean, Hilary's own father doesn't even recognize her? I don't care how detached you are. You'd recognize your own daughter.

Besides that, I don't know if I'd want my hypothetical kids reading a book in which the heroes say, 'We are always on the hunt for vengeance,' and 'I can't be virtuous.' (Paraphrased. I don't have the book on me.)

The book was hilarious though. I laughed forever at the Friendly Vegetable part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Marks the Spot.

December 26, 2013 – Shelved
November 25, 2014 – Started Reading
November 25, 2014 –
0.0% "Recommended for fans of Lemony Snicket and Trenton Lee Stewart, eh? This sounds perfect."
page 60
16.76% "Bonus points for having a boarding school mistress who isn't a horrible person!"
page 60
16.76% ""Fine. Tell them who my father is, and you'll think the skull and crossbones is a self-portrait.""
page 127
35.47% ""Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to sharpen my knitting needles. I want to be able to defend myself when we reach Gunpowder Island."\n \n There is also a very cool governess, :D."
December 1, 2014 – Finished Reading