Lisa's Reviews > Hasty Death

Hasty Death by Marion Chesney

Chesney/Beaton doesn't disappoint. You have your "oh she's supposedly so well educated but portrays herself as a half-wit" heroine who comes from exceedingly good stock; the mysterious and fallen main male lead who "oh really publicly hates the heroine but secretly loves her" and yes, it's all very predicable and cliche-y.

There is no stretch in the research or imagination here, and if I had not been well attuned to Ms. Chesney/Beaton's writing style from before, I would probably like the book even less but you know, at the end of the day, it's a frippery of a read that while it may not have educated me, it did keep me entertained.

The above was written about Snobbery With Violence and much could be said for book two in the series. Rose is still flighty as ever, Daisy is one step ahead of everyone else, and poor Captain Harry is just reviled that he could be in love with Lady Rose Summer.

I immediately started book 3 after finishing this one and what I can say about the series at this point is they make great books to use for research on Edwardian themes since Beaton was kind enough to reference many period items and sayings. But other than as reference points, the books are incredibly dull.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hasty Death.

December 20, 2013 – Started Reading