Katy's Reviews > Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies: On Myths, Morons, Free Speech, Football, and Assorted Absurdities

Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies by Chris Kluwe

Dec 25, 2013

bookshelves: ebook
Recommended for: thinkers

Book Info: Genre: Nonfiction/Essays
Reading Level: Adult (language)
Recommended for: Thinkers
Trigger Warnings: mention of school shootings

My Thoughts: I don't necessarily agree with all of Chris Kluwe's opinions (but then again the world would be mighty boring if everyone thought the same of everything), however I found this peek into his brain to be fascinating. This is a guy I would love to sit down and shoot the breeze with about all sorts of things. This book ranges from poetry to stream-of-consciousness, to political satire, to letters written to various people and in response to various people regarding marriage equality. Chris Kluwe is funny, sharp-witted, and highly intelligent. If you enjoy having your thoughts provoked, then check out this book of fun essays. It will make you think.

Disclosure: This book was purchased for me by a friend as a gift. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Hi. In your hands, right now, you hold the culmination of thousands of years of human intelligence, ingenuity, and brilliance. Now put your goddamn phone down and pay attention to my book.

What is in my book, you ask? (I'm really glad you asked, by the way, because now I get to tell you.)

Time travel. Gay marriage. Sportsballing. Futuristic goggles that DO NOTHING.

Tiny brags from my publisher, stuff like: "This is an uproarious, uncensored take on empathy, personal responsibility, and what it means to be human."

Excessive brags about myself: "An extraordinarily clever, punishingly funny, sharp-tongued blogosphere star, NFL player, husband and father, one-time violin prodigy, voracious lifetime reader, obsessive gamer, and fearless champion of personal freedom."

Oh, and also an essay on the Pope's Twitter account. Honestly, if that doesn't draw you in, there's no hope left for humanity. I also give my own funeral eulogy, in case you were hoping I'd go away and die now!

So please, join me in the glorious art of windmill tilting by reading this "collection of rousing, uncensored personal essays, letters, and stories" (I have no idea why that's in quotes).

Join the herd of Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies.

(You know you want to.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies.

Quotes Katy Liked

“People ask me, 'Who is your hero?'
My answer, my true answer, is that I am my hero, the me I aspire to be, the very best at everything I put my hand to, treating people with dignity and respect because it's the right thing to do, surmounting obstacles with justice and empathy and compassion. I don't need anyone else to live my life for me, to mold me, to tell me what is or isn't possible. I don't need a path to follow.
I create my own path. I live up to my own dreams. I demand greatness of mind, body, and spirit, not someone else's, but my own.
I am my own hero. Are you yours?”
Chris Kluwe, Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies: On Myths, Morons, Free Speech, Football, and Assorted Absurdities

“Think of a single word. We'll use soul as our example. How do you define soul? Is it the same definition I use? Can it ever be it? My soul is not your soul. Our souls, our definitions, are shaped by the singular and cumulative experiences in our lives, the emotional weight we attach to a concept forever locked in the space behind our own eyes.”

“Above all, enjoy one another's company. We never know when we'll be able to tell someone "I love you" again - say it often.”

“humanity wants to serve. People want to obey. They don’t want to look at the hard questions in life and try to figure out answers. No, human beings want someone to tell them what to do.”

“We have literal war criminals (as defined by the Geneva convention, which we are very much a signatory to) living in this country who no one has the goddamned balls to prosecute, because God forbid someone gets his feelings hurt that the people he supported turned out to be power-grubbing assholes.”

December 25, 2013 – Shelved
December 25, 2013 – Shelved as: buy-me
February 9, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 9, 2014 – Shelved as: ebook
March 20, 2014 – Started Reading
March 20, 2014 –
2.0% ""
March 21, 2014 –
3.0% "I'd love to hang out with this guy. Based on his ramblings in this, he's a hoot."
March 21, 2014 –
10.0% "You know, I think the "clean" version of his letter was actually funnier."
March 21, 2014 –
15.0% "Those offended by naughty words should just skip this one. Remember, as Sheila Broflovski says, "Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words.\n \n \n I swear like a sailor..."
March 22, 2014 –
16.0% "Well, I don't really agree with his opinion in the essay "Bang Bang" but it's interesting so far!"
March 22, 2014 –
18.0% "It's appalling that CEOs and NFL players make multi-millions and teachers barely surpass the poverty limit. It's appalling and backwards."
March 23, 2014 –
23.0% "\n Whatever actions consenting adults take that do not deprive other individuals of the opportunity to exercise their own free will are nobody's goddamned business but the people's involved. "
March 25, 2014 –
48.0% "Again, there are a lot of things Chris Kluwe writes about that I don't agree with politically, but this is a very entertaining book!"
March 28, 2014 –
50.0% "Have been randomly surfing for hours the last couple days. Just can't focus."
March 30, 2014 –
March 30, 2014 –
57.0% "A) Chris Kluwe is an awesome father. B) I would be down with Chris Kluwe ruling the world."
March 31, 2014 –
58.0% "I actually fell asleep while reading this morning. This has never happened to me."
April 1, 2014 –
April 1, 2014 –
April 4, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne King Katy, I always like to see five stars. Makes me continue to have faith in mankind...

Katy Lynne wrote: "Katy, I always like to see five stars. Makes me continue to have faith in mankind..."

I can see myself reading this again periodically. Great stuff!