Cheyenne Blue's Reviews > The Pleasure Dial

The Pleasure Dial by Jeremy Edwards

Dec 25, 2013

bookshelves: erotica, pure-fun

Jeremy Edwards’ “The Pleasure Dial” takes the reader on a delightful journey through 1930s Hollywood when radio ruled the waves. Artie Plask is a New York comedy writer who accepts a job in Hollywood, working for Syd Heffy, a rather dated radio comic. Artie’s first day on the job is spent brainstorming around the pool at Heffy’s mansion with his team of comedy writers, including the intelligent, wise-cracking Mariel, and Heffy’s nymphomaniac daughter, Elyse, whose biggest turn on is comedy writers. But there is no second day on the job as Artie and the rest of the team are summarily fired by Heffy, who has decided he wants to do serious radio drama.

From this beginning, the story romps its way through a hundred twists and turns, and a thousand wisecracks, as the radio writers, led by the confident brains of the outfit, Mariel, work to get their jobs back by convoluted means.

As this is an “erotocomedic” novel (and I rather think Edwards invented the term - put it in Google and up he pops) wound seamlessly around the wit is a very earthy sensuality, as Artie gets it on with Elyse and Mariel, Mariel gets it on with… ah, but that would be telling, and Elyse gets it on with everyone. The sex is wonderful, filled with Edwards’ trademark warmth and humour. His characters are always comfortable in their own skins. If you’re after shrinking violet types in the bedroom then you’ll need to look elsewhere, but why oh why would you want to when you could be reading this?

The writing shines, finely honed and crystal sharp. The plot is neatly put together, as it twists and turns its way to the conclusion. It’s compulsive reading – although I kept having to stop to explain to my partner why I was laughing, and finally got a rather grumpy “Will you please stop reading? Your laughter is keeping me awake!”.

Bravo, Jeremy! Your studio audience applauds you.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pleasure Dial.

December 25, 2013 – Started Reading