Pamela's Reviews > The Tale of Despereaux

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

Dec 04, 2009

bookshelves: newberry-winner
Read in November, 2009

There are so many things that I loved about this book and I am looking forward to reading it to my kids. The chapters are "bedtime story" length and the story is gripping and full of lessons to teach and learn. The best part is how it has the best of both worlds. A princess for the girls and rats and mice for the boys. EXCELLENT!!! Well-deserved of the Newberry Award...........

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of Despereaux.

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Anja and I are LOVING this story! We're in book two right now... but being slowed down by all of the library books she keeps checking out at school. Won't be reading much tonight because it's gymnastics night, but I'm hoping for Anja/Mommy bonding time tomorrow!

Pamela I am so glad you are loving this. We got the movie right after and that is very cute too. I just love little Despereaux...he is such a great hero! I am interested in this author's other books after reading this one. I can see those in my future!

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Ohhhh I'm going to look for the movie! Heh - I've already purchased some of the other books that the author wrote! :)

Pamela LOL...you are too cool...(chuckle)....This weekend I got...The Bone People by Keri Hulme, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, Still Alice by Lisa Genova, The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf, The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig, The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway, and Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (Newbery Medal)..........I went a little overboard but I don't regret ANY of it...LOL!!!

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen You're too cool too! :) Sounds like a bunch of great books! Let me know when you read The Cellist... I REALLY want to read that one!

(You shouldn't regret any of it! Books are a good addiction!)