Marilag's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Dec 04, 2009

bookshelves: 2011-reads, adventure, fantasy, fairy-tale, romance
Read from September 03 to 06, 2011

It's uncanny how close the animated film was to the story that inspired it. The minute I started reading and heard the unicorn speak and hear the butterfly reply, I heard the voices and vividly saw the mannerisms with which they acted. I loved the movie (though I've not seen it in a looong time), but I loved the book more. Hardly surprising, but I thought it should be said anyway.

The Last Unicorn was fast-paced and leisurely at the same time. I actually had more respect for how the characters were written, because in this case, the writer's omnipotent view actually gave a more comprehensive look at their thoughts and the reasons to their actions. With such a wealth of interesting secondary characters (Molly, Schmendrick, even Lir and Haggard), it wouldn't have worked any other way. Schmendrick was always my favorite character in the movie, but I can definitely see why in the book. I gained much more respect, and I'm actually glad of what to look forward to in his future as the story ended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.

09/06/2011 page 294