Ksenia's Reviews > The Piper's Son

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

Dec 23, 2013

bookshelves: pov-male, 2017, contemporary, death-grief-suicide, emotional-books, family, young-adult

Rating 3.5 Stars.

I find it really hard to write a review on this book. The Piper’s Son is a beautifully written poignant story which to my deep regret I’m not putting on my favorite shelf.

There were so many scenes that touched me, and I just know I would be rereading them in the future.

I highlighted so many passages and added them to my favorite quotes.

I loved so many things about this book. Why didn’t I love it?

I loved Marchetta’s trade-mark characterization.
I loved complex family relationship.
I loved wonderful friendships.
loved painful portrait of the grief. I didn’t cry, but I was constantly on the verge of crying.
eorgie‘s letters to her dead little brother broke my heart.

I can go on and on with this list. It’s like I loved all those little pieces, but together they failed to make me fall in love with the story.

I still hope to find another favorite book by Marchetta besides On the Jellicoe Road, I don’t want her to be an author of one book for me.

My thoughts about the audiobook
I switched from the audiobook to the e-book at 2%.

When it comes to narrators I’m a very patient listener. If I don’t like voice I still continue; and in many cases narration grows on me, and I end up enjoying the audiobook. Unfortunately I didn’t have it in me to listen to The Piper's Son in audio format.

Michael Finney is a new-to-me narrator. Objectively his performance is good. But this is not how I imagined Tom’s voice while reading Saving Francesca. This is obviously “it’s me, it’s not you” case, so I advise to listen to audio sample and decide for yourself.

Note: I put Australian cover in my review on purpose. It’s perfect for this story. I don’t like American cover at all.

You can find my reviews: Ksenia's blog SomethingDelicate.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piper's Son.

December 23, 2013 – Shelved
February 27, 2017 –
1.0% "With trepidations I’m starting this book."
Started Reading
March 1, 2017 –
2.0% "Michael Finney is a new-to-me narrator. Objectively his performance is good. But this is not how I imagined Tom’s voice while reading Saving Francesca. I’m switching from audiobook to e-book. This is obviously “it’s me, it’s not you” case, so I advise to listen to audio sample and decide for yourself."
March 1, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 2, 2017 –
2.0% ""He was never afraid when it came to girls.
Unless it was Tara Finke.""
March 2, 2017 –
3.0% "Your first pregnancy... Marchetta pictured perfectly this period. This need to make everything right, this want to give your baby the best. I used to read all I could find on internet and make lists. I bought a lot of stuff that I thought was absolutely necessary for newborns. And then my son was born, and it was not what I expected. Not at all."
March 4, 2017 –
34.0% ""The grief hits her hard one day. The way it can’t be controlled. The way that yesterday can be good and so can the day before, and so can the week and fortnight before that, but then today comes and she’s back to zero""
March 5, 2017 –
50.0% "So far this story didn’t grab me the way Jellicoe Road did."
March 6, 2017 –
60.0% "“Go to bed,” Tom says, doing that thing where he opens the fridge and stares at it for ages as if his favorite food is going to somehow appear miraculously. ----- Lol, my son does it all the time."
March 7, 2017 –
69.0% ""She’s beautiful and, God, he loves the fact that she still wears a ponytail and looks like a kid her age. She’s running to him and there’s nothing graceful about Anabel because the Finch women aren’t really that graceful. They’re just beautiful and smart and fierce and ridiculously uncool. A bit like Tara.""
March 12, 2017 –
72.0% ""I know this sounds cruel, Georgie,” Lucia says, “but grieving people are selfish. They won’t let you comfort them and they say you don’t understand and they make you feel useless when all your life you’ve been functional to them.""
March 13, 2017 –
73.0% ""Georgie curses herself for teaching Lucia the art of list-making. Now she makes lists of the schools she’d like to send her kids to if they had x amount of money and then a list of the ones they can afford. She makes lists of jobs she’d love if she wasn’t doing the following things, and then she makes a lists of those following things, and her lists become hybrid and feral.""