Penny Naimsworth's Reviews > Angel Fever

Angel Fever by L.A. Weatherly

F 50x66

I'm torn for my rating for this book. The good points about "Angel Fever" is that it stuck to its main plot. There weren't any nonsensical plot twists or derailments from what I had signed up to read. Yes, I can conclude that I did like the book, but, there was just something about it that was unreal, and I'm not talking about the angels. I'll try to explain what I mean...

WARNING: SPOILERS

I'll try to hide the major spoilers, so don't worry.

The major problem with this book is that I am torn between being happy for the characters and thinking, "Nuh uh, this is just too unrealistic." Okay, maybe unrealistic isn't the right word for this because it is always a possibility, but the book pretty much is built around adding semi deus ex machina to make everybody happy at the end.

For example, a new character, Meghan, was introduced (view spoiler). She doesn't really play any sort of important role except for the fact that her very existence resolves a conflict.

As predicted, there is a way that only Willow has that will save humanity, but, this just seemed too simple. I mean, the way the Weatherly explained made a lot of sense and all, but I guess that there's just some sadistic part of me that hoped that the way to save humanity involved a lot of hardship for the characters and wasn't so... easy. However, if you read the book, you could most definitely make the case that the characters go through lots of hardship and even the conflict to the problem isn't as easy as it seems. You could just say, that for some reason, I didn't want such a happy ending.

Anyways, on to the characters...

Willow - it's no spoiler to say that she was, is, and will always and forever be a Mary Sue. Now, in her case, it really isn't a bad thing. I personally do not find her to be annoying, except I sometimes got irritated with all the lovey-doveyness between her and Alex (view spoiler) and the romance triangle angst. (view spoiler) I think that Willow drew the short end of the stick for this book. In the first and second books of this trilogy, I pretty much thought that, even though I should feel sympathy for her as being labeled as a terrorist, she didn't really suffer any hardships when compared with the rest of the characters. In this book, though, I sorta respect her.

Alex - If I sorta respect Willow, then I sorta hate Alex. Let's just say that he breaks a really, really important promise to Willow. Also, I hate the fact that he had to break that promise 'cause the plot of the book wouldn't work if he didn't. It's like Alex was made into a dick for this very purpose. Although, I like how Weatherly made her character admit what a huge dick her was and what a horrible mistake he made.

Seb - I could relate to this character more than the other to, though I've never actually experienced anything of what he's felt. It's just that the way he treats Willow makes sense to me. However, as the story progressed, I also got irritated with him in a way that was once again a fault of how Weatherly purposely made the book flow this way. (view spoiler)

Raziel - I don't remember much from "Angel Fire," but didn't the dude die? Actually, I don't really know, so I'm not sure if this really need to be explained or not except for the fact that the main trio seemed so surprised that he was still alive. Anyways, the guy only semi-developed when he started losing sleep because of his dreams about Willow's mom. I was starting to wonder if he might grow some complex feeling for his family, but that all stopped when the climax of the book took hold(view spoiler)

All other characters are pretty superfluous in my opinion. You do get answers in this book to question you might not have really been thinking of (view spoiler) and the ending is pretty clear cut with not much left to really strain over. Well, okay, so there might be some things left to wonder about, but they don't really pertain to the main cast, so whatever.

Overall, I liked the book, but, I don't know, I guess it's just that it could have been... well, I don't want to say better, but at least more relatable or unexaggerated I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Fever.

Finished Reading