Bark's Book Nonsense's Reviews > Lady of Desire

Lady of Desire by Gaelen Foley

Dec 03, 2009

bookshelves: romance
Read in January, 2003

London 1816. Feisty eighteen year old Lady Jacinda Knight is one her way to Paris. She’s running from her five over-protective brothers who plan to marry her off to their respectable but boring friend because she can’t stay away from trouble. Before she reaches her destination, she is accosted by a young urchin who steals her purse. Acting on impulse, she chases him into a dangerous part of town where she witnesses a gang brawl, a death and is taken captive by gang leader Billy Blade. Hmm, looks to me like Jacinda’s brothers may have had a point. . .

Anyway, Billy Blade then takes Jacinda to his home. He’s overwhelmed by her angelic beauty and wants to keep her safe. One thing leads to another and soon their lips are connected and before you know it Jacinda’s nearly lost her virginal status. Billy, fearing the wraith of Jacinda’s brother, stops in the nick of time and returns her safely to her brothers. Jacinda is furious. This is the beginning of their passionate on again off again relationship.

Billy Blade is much more a complex character than a first glance would assume. His father, a Marquis, was a cruel, sadistic man whose abuse lead Billy to leave his heritage behind and lead a difficult life on the streets. Out of necessity Billy has become an accomplished thief and lives life on his terms. His renegade lifestyle catches up with him when he is captured and faces death by hanging. Billy, left with no options, must face his worst fears and confront his father and the horrific past he left behind if wants to survive.

Billy’s story (which takes up a large bulk of the book) is riveting and emotion filled. I’ve read a few complaints here and there about the fact that Billy’s history takes up too much space and I have to respectfully disagree. Billy’s story is the only thing that kept me turning the pages. The romance with Jacinda just didn’t thrill me. But let me back up a bit and explain why. Jacinda is my least favorite type of heroine. She’s young, impulsive, impossibly gorgeous, pampered and spoiled. She’s someone who has a lot of growing up left to do and, unfortunately, she doesn’t do all that much of it during the course of the book. Though their love story is very passionate there wasn’t much else holding it together. Jacinda simply was not a good match for Billy’s well rounded, thoroughly developed character and he deserved better.

I recommend this story for those looking for a historical romance with a deeper than usual hero or for those who don’t mind a young heroine who is a bit pea-brained at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady of Desire.

04/08/2016 marked as: read

Kristiej This is one of my favourite books by this authoor. Billy just melts your Hearst doesn't he?