Sage Collins's Reviews > Premeditated

Premeditated by Josin L. McQuein

Dec 22, 2013

liked it

There's a lot to like about Premeditated. One of the things that most touched me was the portrayal of Dinah's grief. Initially the need to do something and later the denial of what was happening. The scene where she acts out what she believed her cousin Claire was going through was particularly strong.

I also thought that the build-up to the main romance was pretty good, as long as I can suspend disbelief that there could ever be romantic feelings there considering the strength of Dinah's feelings going into it. The romance itself is actually pretty light, with the book really just giving us the beginnings of it.

I don't feel that the matter-of-fact vengeance plot that's portrayed in the book's excellent description is completely representative of the book. Dinah seems to flounder for what to do with her need for vengeance for quite a lot of the book, and then when the vengeance comes, it comes in quick succession, so that 100 pages from the end, a reader might feel like there's nothing left to do. Instead there's a lot of getting to know of the other characters, especially, of course, the same guy Dinah has decided to destroy.

For me, my reading was affected by my ability to guess a plot twist almost immediately. The rest of the review will cover that in detail, so read at your own risk.

(view spoiler)

Overall there are things I liked about it, and things that stopped me from really enjoying it fully. I feel like the plot twist was a little too obvious and made it impossible to read the book as it was intended to be read.

Recommended for fans of: YA contemporary; revenge stories; girls undercover; stories about the affects of attempted suicide; easily solvable mysteries; strong portrayals of grief; interesting family dynamics; phobias that are adorable if a little farfetched

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Premeditated.

December 22, 2013 – Started Reading
December 22, 2013 – Shelved
February 7, 2014 –
page 119
35.42% "I am absolutely convinced that Dinah has the wrong guy"
February 8, 2014 –
page 179
53.27% "It seems more and more likely that my hypothesis is right, and that makes the whole "destroy the boy" plot feel depressing rather than satisfying"
February 13, 2014 – Finished Reading