Laura Craner's Reviews > Hurry Down Sunshine: A Memoir

Hurry Down Sunshine by Michael  Greenberg

Dec 02, 2009

bookshelves: books-read-in-2009
Read in November, 2009

I was so scared to read this book because of how I might identify with it. But I was also really excited to read it because I'd gotten the idea from some review that it was about how Greenberg helped his daughter recover from her psychotic break. It wasn't. It was all about the psychotic break and only provided scanty details about the recovery. The book was also mostly about Greenberg. Given the fact that it was his daughter that experienced it I thought he would have given her a stronger voice in the book, given her more of a chance to talk about herself. He doesn't and the book feels a little narcissistic. BUT it was beautifully written. There were plenty of moments I found myself mouthing the words because they were just *that* good. And it was intense; a real page turner--which is a considerable accomplishment for a memoir. I also like how Greenberg didn't shy away from ambiguity. His daughter said some truly profound things while in her psychotic state and Greenberg's ex-wife wonders if it really is coming from a higher power and Greenberg's writing lets that be an actual possibility. In this book the divine is mixed with the insane and both are horrifying and enticing. Which is what makes it worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hurry Down Sunshine.