Kae Cheatham's Reviews > The Explorer

The Explorer by James Smythe

it was ok
bookshelves: spec-fiction

I borrowed this book from my Public Library Overdrive system.
======================

In James Smythe's The Explorer, I found the writing good and the emotions of protagonist of Cormac Easton believable. I didn't like or dislike him--was merely curious to see where the events led. The psychological elements of crew interaction are interesting, but hinge greatly on information that is given in dibs and dabs throughout the book; perspective of them keeps changing. Some of the science elements seems sketchy and 'convenient' to make the story work. Disappointing.

I felt the story strung out a bit too long, especially the flashbacks to Cormac's life and dissolving marriage to Elena. Cormac-on-the-ground is boring. I found myself skimming much of Part 2 and 3 because it seemed repetitive with just slightly different slants from before. I'm often not very patient, however, and I realize this repetition is some of the essence of the story. Toward the end, I studied what I read more closely to understand the denouement of the story. This prompted me to return to earlier parts of the book, because a few things didn't jibe. Even on re-reading, certain major factors didn't work.

I don't want to tell too much because I hate giving spoilers. Best I can do is to say The Explorer is something each reader has to experience without forewarning. A good mental exercise to see if you can figure it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Explorer.

December 21, 2013 – Started Reading
December 22, 2013 – Shelved
December 29, 2013 –
57.0% "Well-written and an interesting concept, but I'm getting bogged down, thinking the story should have ended by now. Will keep on, and hope the resolution justifies the length."
December 31, 2013 – Finished Reading