Liza Wiemer's Reviews > What I Thought Was True

What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick

3152001

bookshelves: arc

It's been over a year since I read this novel, and I am still thinking about it! If you missed this novel, I highly recommend checking it out! (Feb. 2, 2015)

ADD THIS TO YOUR "to-read list" IMMEDIATELY . . .
I read this novel almost straight through - I only had a break for dinner with my husband - and I have so many things that I am thinking about . . .

This novel:

is layered,
beautifully written,
has an incredible setting,
contains rich prose,
has emotionally charged characters,
explores deep relationships,
shows family complexities,
shows the differences between working class/upper class,
explores sexuality and the power and influence it has on one's life,
explores "just sex" (hookups) versus sex with someone you love,
shows embarrassment/shame/humiliation and the pain "hookups" can cause,
shows how sex can be used as a weapon to hurt someone you care about,
shows the complexity of love,
explores the power of lies and secrets & how they deeply effect people,
shows how communication is critical in relationships,
includes a special needs child & some of the dynamics that go with taking care of and loving that child,
interweaves expectations of parents,
explores the challenges and difficulties of working with the elderly, not just for a YA, but how it might feel to suddenly need help when you've always taken care of your own needs.

WHAT I THOUGHT WAS TRUE isn't one of those YA contemporary novels that you finish, and then sigh with a "Awww, that was so sweet." Yes, I think people will LOVE the ending - I definitely did! - but what makes this novel so awesome is its authenticity to REAL LIFE! The complexities and flaws of real relationships are what make this novel so phenomenal. Cass is definitely swoon-worthy and a great match for the strong, generous-of-spirit, kind, best-sister-of-the-year, and vulnerable Gwen. If any couple can make it forever, these two will.

But there will be challenges. Welcome to real life. It's very cool that Huntley showed the foundation of how they'll most likely handle any problems/challenges/complexities that might come up in the future. Cass and Gwen learned to handle problems/challenges/complexities through honesty, communication, give and take, and a foundation of trust and loyalty. THAT!!!! IS!!! A BRILLIANT STRENGTH OF THIS NOVEL!!!

I really commend Huntley for creating characters that have such depth. I'm not sure too many writers could pull this off. By far, this will be a novel I'll be thinking about for a long time. It's revealing and eye-opening and painful and heartbreaking and swoony! WOW!

Thank you, Huntley, for sending me the ARC. I will cherish it & the inscription.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Thought Was True.

Started Reading
December 20, 2013 – Finished Reading
December 22, 2013 – Shelved
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: arc

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Kaplan Liza, oh my word, this novel sounds AMAZING! Can't wait to get my hands on it. Bets.

Liza Wiemer It'll be out in April!

message 3: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Smith Can I pre order it now?

Liza Wiemer Joy wrote: "Can I pre order it now?"

Yes!!!! I hope it impacts you as much as it's impacted me!
Here's the link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/What-I-Thought-...

message 5: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Smith Thx, Liza. I just ordered it!

Liza Wiemer Joy wrote: "Thx, Liza. I just ordered it!"
Oh, I'm so glad! :D I'll be interested in your thoughts after you finish it. Happy holidays and New Year.

message 7: by Talia (new) - added it

Talia Can't wait for this to come out!

Liza Wiemer Talia, I look forward to talking with you about it!

message 9: by Gayle (new) - added it

Gayle Rosengren Sounds "un-missable", and I will be sure not to(!)

message 10: by YaYa (new) - added it

YaYa were the characters in this book mentioned in book one?? help!

message 11: by YaYa (new) - added it

YaYa jk! this is just another book by the author, I thought it was a follow up to My Life Next Door, but it's not.

message 12: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Wiemer You're right. It isn't a follow up to MY LIFE NEXT DOOR! It's incredible! Hope you find it as meaningful as I did. :D

message 13: by Hồng Châu (new)

Hồng Châu  Nguyễn Just got it today at the bookstore. I was so busy with school I forgot the publication date. So when I saw it...i almost swooned :))))

message 14: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Wiemer Hồng Châu wrote: "Just got it today at the bookstore. I was so busy with school I forgot the publication date. So when I saw it...i almost swooned :))))"

Oh, Hồng Châu, I hope you love it as much as I did! Even four months later, I still remember the details of this novel. It had that big of an impact on me. :D

message 15: by Teuta (new)

Teuta Hi Mrs. Wiemer! Is this book also for teens to? Thank you anyway.

message 16: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Wiemer Teuta wrote: "Hi Mrs. Wiemer! Is this book also for teens to? Thank you anyway."

Yes! It definitely is for teens, Teuta! It's a powerful novel!

Kelly Hager As you know I'm bringing it on vacation next week and wanted to skim some reviews and I can totally hear you saying yours. :) Cannot wait to read it. :)

message 18: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Wiemer Kelly wrote: "As you know I'm bringing it on vacation next week and wanted to skim some reviews and I can totally hear you saying yours. :) Cannot wait to read it. :)"

I look forward to discussing it with you after you read it! :)

Kelly Hager There may be text updates. :)

message 20: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza Wiemer Kelly wrote: "There may be text updates. :)"

I LOVE text updates. :) This novel definitely warrants them!