Kristin's Reviews > Cold Comfort Farm

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own

Eh. I don't know what to think about this one, but my overall feeling is that I didn't really enjoy it. I watched the movie a long time ago and don't remember loving it (I don't think I really understood its sense of humor at the time). But still, a couple of years ago I picked up the book with the intention of reading it at some point. And now I have. The writing was simple enough to keep me going, and the basic plot was interesting enough, I guess. But it was so weird and bizarre and I don't think I got the parody aspect (I've only read one Thomas Hardy novel).

I did think it improved near the end. But other than snickering a few times, I didn't find it that funny! The blurbs on my edition call Cold Comfort Farm "probably the funniest book ever written" and "screamingly funny." Um, no, it definitely didn't live up to that. Maybe we just have different senses of humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Comfort Farm.

December 22, 2013 – Shelved
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 20, 2015 – Shelved as: books-i-own
February 7, 2017 – Started Reading
February 16, 2017 –
page 112
February 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Tayler (new)

Tayler McCrery Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I've had this sitting on my shelf for a long time (I think 7 or 8 years... yeah, I have a problem!), and until the last year or two, I was sure it would be funny and charming (it basically sounded like a slam-dunk book). Lately, everything I've heard about this book lines up exactly with how you described it. I'm still undecided about whether or not to read it. It's been sitting on my shelf for so long, that I would feel silly about getting rid of it without even giving it a try. :/ This is why I need to read books as soon as I acquire them! ;)

Kristin Tayler wrote: "Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I've had this sitting on my shelf for a long time (I think 7 or 8 years... yeah, I have a problem!), and until the last year or two, I was sure it would be funny a..."

I think you should still give it a try! :) It wasn't an awful book by any means, I just don't think it suited me. I'd heard it recommended from people who have very similar reading taste to mine and they apparently loved it. Have you ever seen the movie? I'm curious to rewatch it now and see if I feel differently about the film, or about the book after seeing the movie again.

message 3: by Tayler (new)

Tayler McCrery I'm pretty sure I will read it eventually... maybe even soon, since it keeps popping up on my radar. Thanks for the encouragement! :) I haven't seen the movie, but it would definitely be interesting to watch and compare after I read the book.