Melody's Reviews > Lips Touch: Three Times

Dec 02, 2009

bookshelves: burton-browbeating, favorites
Recommended to Melody by: Wendy
Read from January 18 to 19, 2010

*blinks curiously, wondering how she could possibly be back in this quotidian setting after the intensity of the world she was just in*

Yeah, it's one of those books. I read more than half of it at Powell's yesterday, having become oblivious to any other book after picking it up. Then I read half the night, and slept tangled in dreams that left shivery footprints which evaporated when I opened my eyes to see where the blood was. I finished it this morning while my coffee cooled on the nightstand, unheeded. And I'm not all the way back yet because I'm sure that somewhere behind me, somewhere very near there's something not quite safe. And I like it.

Lovely prose, bewitching fairy-tales, beautiful illustrations. One for the permanent collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lips Touch.

Wendy Yes. As I think I said in my review, when I was finished with this I felt homesick for it. And then later I wrote on twitter about feeling separation anxiety at the thought of returning it to the library.

Erin *****running toward bookstore....

Melody Good move, Erin.

Susann Lizz and I talked about Wendy's rave reviews of this when we saw it exhibited at ALA. It's high on my to-read list, but I may have to put an alternative book jacket over the creepy cover.

message 5: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Melody, the author and illustrator are local to you.

Melody Laurie, I heard about this book first from Wendy and then from this really nice write-up in the Oregonian:

Marriage of words and drawings

Melody The more I think about this book (and it's one of those books that stays with a person long after reading), the more I think William Butler Yeats would have really dug it.