Julie S.'s Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Dec 02, 2009

bookshelves: own, pre2010-pregr, boarding-school, favorites

I loved Jane Eyre and can tell why it's a classic. I can't even put my feelings for this book into words.

Jane is literally my role model.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Julie Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Charlotte Brontë
“I am not an angel,' I asserted; 'and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself. Mr. Rochester, you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of me - for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which I do not at all anticipate.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre