Michael Cable's Reviews > The Charlemagne Pursuit

The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry

Dec 02, 2009

bookshelves: in-my-library

Once again Mr. Berry delivers on the promise that Dan Brown doesn't. With now five titles in his Cotton Malone series, each book continues to impress as a thriller and as an interesting historical hypothesis. Though it would appear that I am reading these in reverse order, I can't help but be impressed with the level of detail, historical insight and character depth each of these novels express. Even though I read this type of novel for the authors take on past events, I find that the characters and the action aspect do a great job at propelling the story long at a fast pace. The protagonist is wholly identifiable and, unlike many action adventurers of the genre, doesn't go over the top which lends a subtle credibility to his thought and actions. Cotton Malone often uses his wits, not his martial abilities to extract himself from the myriad of troubles he seems to face on a daily basis. Lastly, though the antagonists were varied and respectably devious, I wanted more justice for their action beyond a bullet through the head. Much too clean in my opinion but it is always nice when a bad guy gets eaten by wild dogs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Charlemagne Pursuit.

01/04/2010 page 248