Chris Anderson's Reviews > Alpha

Alpha by A.D. Aliwat

This is a great read. Frank is a jerk on steroids, and when I wasn't laughing with him or at him, the pit in my stomach felt all too real as he waxed about the myriad ways he screwed people over throughout his young life. The author confirms what we all think about bankers these days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alpha.

Quotes Chris Liked

“We were the untamed young bucks, testosterone and beer fueling our charge, fear alone left in the wake. Everybody thought we were a little dangerous, and that was cool.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“You can’t spell American without “I can.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“I love movies and all, but I could never imagine standing around saying lines and playing make believe all day. It’s too fucking ridiculous. Also, even children and animals can technically be actors. It’s not a job for a man.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Being comfortable in your own skin is the spirit of rock-and-roll and, really, the spirit of cool.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“In terms of the Trinity, I believe in the Father and the Holy Ghost but not really Jesus that much. Yes, Jesus was pretty badass because he stood up for what he believed in and was definitely an alpha and a man of his convictions, and all that respectable shit, and he took a hell of a beating in the end, but his message was wrong. All that turn the other cheek and love thy neighbor nonsense; be a lamb and so on. It’s silly and doesn’t work. The God of the Old Testament, the Father, that guy makes a lot more sense to me. He had it in him to be mean and spiteful. I get that I was made in the image of a guy who’d fuck over a nobody like Job basically for fun and to prove a point to a rival. I get that I was made in the image of a guy who’d kick two shitheads out of the Garden of Eden for disobeying Him. I get the idea of Him laying waste to entire cities with fireballs or whatever because He didn’t very much like the type of people that lived there (though Sodom and Gomorrah seem like just the sort of places I’d like to hang out). If God is love, it ain’t Jesus’. The Father’s love, tough love, is what works. Sometimes there’s difficulty distinguishing it from hate, and that’s why it applies to the way I live my life. Jesus’ message just makes people nice, makes them pussies, and while I’m thankful for it because it’s given me the upper hand throughout my life in very Christian America, believing in it, really, would be idiotic for anyone like me, a winner. And I believe in the Holy Ghost too mostly because I’ve felt Him working through me while doing really cool shit, like playing football and writing good songs or whatever. He’s what people mean when they say God-given talent, which I have a lot of.”
tags: alpha, god

“Being a rocket scientist isn’t all that smart when you could work in finance.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“I make 2+2=5, and I get to keep the remaining 1 that’s not really there. I truly am a Master of the Universe. I don’t just do “God’s work,” as our CEO once put it, it’s more like I’ve actually become a god myself.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“I hate pretty much everyone almost as much as I love myself.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Since humans are social animals, you’re basically only as good as your reputation.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Francis!” she yelled from the living room. I fucking hated it that she still called me that and refused to answer whenever she did. I told her from the time I was nine to call me Frank. She mostly only called me that stupid, effete fucking name when she was pissed at me. I hated it so much I once told her if, for whatever reason, I died young—got hit by a car, whatever—that I wanted my tombstone to read “Frank,” and if it didn’t, I would come back as a ghost and haunt her.”

Started Reading