Diana's Reviews > Magic Bites

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Dec 21, 13

bookshelves: zzz-2013, fantasy, mysteries, paranormal, dystopian, vampires, werewolves, wizards-witches
Read in December, 2013

While waiting for a friend at our local library, I stumbled across this series. Since their fantasy/sci-fi section was limited (and these weren't even in that section) I decided to pick up the first three books, thinking they'd be quick, fun reads.

The setting has lots of potential: the US in the distant future. Magic comes & goes in waves, like the tides, and technology doesn't work when magic does. There are all kinds of shape-shifters (werewolves, were-rats, were-lions...), vampires (only not like we traditionally think of them), and of course people who learn to use the magic.

The characters have potential: Kate Daniels, a fiercely independent mercenary, who cleans up magical messes. The leader of the city's shapechangers, powerful, attractive, and magnetic. And a plethora of other colorful characters, both magical and mundane.

And the plot had potential: Kate's guardian has been murdered, and she needs to find the paranormal killer, which puts her between two very powerful groups in the city, and makes her a target for the murderer.

The actual story, though, wove in and out with so many twists & turns, I had a hard time following along, and often had to flip back to remind myself who someone was or what had happened to put her in this new place or situation. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so confusing if I didn't find myself having to skip whole pages filled with graphic, gory, bloody detail of crime scene photos, inhuman things killing & eating, and fighting scenes.

I nearly stopped reading after the first night, but the story *was* intriguing, despite the gore; so I kept reading. There were things left unanswered at the end of the first book, and yes, I would like to know those answers, but I am not going to torture myself by trying to wade through another book. Too violent, too confusing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.

12/21/2013 marked as: read