Lisa's Reviews > This Year You Write Your Novel

This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley

bookshelves: 2013, non-fiction, reference, writing-reference, personal-library
Recommended for: Writers who want the facts on writing

I'm going to disagree with much of the middling and negative reviews about this title.

If you're serious about writing, why would you dismiss something that would and could be of great help to you? Especially from someone who is as esteemed as Walter Mosley? Doesn't that seem ridiculous?

Like most writers, I collect, read, thumb, and tag writing reference titles to keep on hand and to get guidance. Mosley's title was recommend to me from an artist friend who thought its straight to the point advice given in bite sized allotments would be attractive to me and he was right.

Sure, yes, you can listen to CBC Writers and Company (one of the best writing podcasts out there), subscribe to a zillion magazines and newsletters, and read blogs and websites to get advice. But while some of that information is helpful and at times useful, distilling through the noise to get to the actual meat of matter is exhausting. This is why Mosley's works is important - it gets rid of all the high falutin pretentious twaddle that seems to crop up in most writing manuals and advice how-tos and gives you the real deal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Year You Write Your Novel.

December 17, 2013 – Started Reading