Katie's Reviews > On My Honor

bookshelves: realistic-fiction-chapter-books
Read in November, 2009

On My Honor
4 out of 5 stars

Bauer’s book touches on some very real issues. The text is the size of an adult book, but the high amount of dialogue helps the reader to gain interest. The author uses descriptive text, and her choice of words really help the reader to paint a clear picture. When talking about Tony getting into the water, Bauer uses the words plunged and thrashing to help the reader paint a mental picture of the struggling swimmer. The emotions it evokes, in my opinion, vary from reader to reader. Anger, sadness, heartache, happiness, failure, rage, fear, and betrayal are all emotions that readers could feel while reading the book. I was angry when I read the book, because I was confused as to why the main character did not seek help and proclaim his dark secret as soon as possible. I gave the book four out five stars, because I think the main character could have reacted in a better way to give students a more positive message. The chapters were paced nicely, so as to encourage younger readers to continue to the next chapter.
The recommended age level for the book would be for students between the fourth and sixth grades. Students will be able to relate to hiding a dark secret, and the feeling of utter and complete disappointment they may have given someone based on a poor decision. Two subject areas into which the book could be integrated could be social studies and language arts. I think it would be a great class novel to read. Students could make an emotion map about how the main character felt throughout the book. They could create a second emotion map, describing how they would have felt at that time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On My Honor.