Richard's Reviews > The Calling

The Calling by Amber Foxx

This is an excellent novel, more interesting and intricate than one might suppose from its understated title. The author's prose is really first rate throughout. The copy-editing is also excellent. Self-published, it stands well above 90% of what you'll find in Indy-land.

I don't usually read paranormal novels, especially the popular dime-a-dozen books. But this is not typical of that genre, I think. It's a "psychic coming out" novel about an intelligent, though not particularly school-educated, young woman in rural North Carolina who reaches a point in her life where she refuses any longer to hide or deny what she is, and what she can do with her psychic abilities. She was oppressed and closed-off; she breaks through; and a lot of her life blows up as a result. It's a thoughtful and well-developed realistic novel about a woman's life, which happens to include psychic phenomena. But it's also a novel about how Mae's personal relationships develop and change. And I think that is its strongest aspect. The characterizations and inter-relations of the characters are wonderful; well wrought and realistic.

I first stumbled over the author's profile via a comment in one of the GR groups; went to look at the preview. At the end, I wanted to keep reading, so I bought it intending to set it aside just until I finished two other things I'm currently reading. But once I loaded it on my e-reader and went to book-mark where I had stopped reading the preview, I couldn't stop reading again. I just kept going on, and the hours passed. The story ends in a good place, but it's also apparently a sort of "pilot episode" for a series, so I suspect the author already must have completed at least one more novel about Mae. And there's a lot of material for further development. I'm waiting to see where it goes from here.

My advice du jour: skip your coffee and scone today. Buy this book instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling.

December 19, 2013 – Started Reading
December 19, 2013 – Shelved
December 19, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 19, 2013 –
December 19, 2013 –
December 20, 2013 –
December 21, 2013 –
58.0% "Chapter 18, well... I didn't see that one coming."
December 22, 2013 – Finished Reading