Chad Warner's Reviews > Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind

Manage Your Day-to-Day by Jocelyn K. Glei

liked it
bookshelves: business, self-help, non-fiction
Recommended to Chad by: Kelly Warner

This book tells creatives (designers, writers, artists, etc.) how to better manage their time to give priority to creativity. It's current and practical while still presenting timeless principles. It covers several topics, but my favorite tips dealt with time management. My wife read this book and then recommended it to me, knowing that I spend much of my day as a web designer juggling creative work and communication.

Each chapter is quite short (3-10 pages) and is written by a different authors. I found some of the sections repetitive. The chapters are separated by motivational quotes.

Before reading this book, my workdays started with checking email and social media. I'd then close them and focus on project work for most of the day, checking email and social media two or more times before the end of the day. Inevitably, I'd end up spending a lot of time on unimportant tasks. Immediately after finishing this book, I started doing important creative work for the first few hours of each day, ignoring email and social media. So far this has made me much more productive, so I'll continue to tweak my schedule to give more priority to focused creative time.

Notes

• Do creative work first and reactive work (such as dealing with messages) second. Block off a large part of each day for creative work on your priorities, ignoring outside communication.
• Limit your daily to-do list (suggestion: Post-it note size) and don't keep adding to it during the day. Put new tasks on future lists.
• Our bodies follow ultradian rhythms: 90-minute periods at the end of which we reach the limits of our capacity to work at the highest level.
• "If you can, it's best to find a good stopping point on a project - one that frees your mind from nagging questions - before moving on to another task." This provides mental closure so you can focus on the next task. Exceptions: problem-solving and brainstorming, which can benefit from switching focus.
• Create windows of non-stimulation in your day. Think, digest, and plan.
• "The difference between successful people and very successful people is that very successful people say 'no' to almost everything." -Warren Buffett
• If a message presents an idea or opportunity that won't help you achieve your large goals, decline and move on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manage Your Day-to-Day.

Started Reading