Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > What Alice Forgot

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars and rounding up.

^^^^^ I know, right? I bet you never would have expected that out of me! I’d blame it on my period, but I wasn’t buddy reading with Aunt Flo. Maybe I hit my head like Alice. *shrug* Whatever the reason, I just loved this story.

What Alice Forgot is about . . . .

“The day Alice Mary Love went to the gym and carelessly misplaced a decade of her life.”

Actually, it happened in spin class but Swifty eating it on the treadmill makes me laugh real loud.

When Alice wakes up she discovers 10 years of her life missing. No longer 29, pregnant and enamored with her spouse, Alice is now pushing 40 with three children and a pending divorce. And that’s not all . . . .

Why yes, McFly. Alice has indeed become an asshole – a/k/a an overachieving supermom of the most hellish variety . . . .

“A bull terrier? How had she changed so much in just ten years? She was more like a Labrador. Anxious to please and overexecited.”

With her memory misplaced, Alice decides to take the bull by the horns and get her old life – and more importantly her husband – back, but she’ll have to navigate her way through co-parenting in the interim . . . .

“Are you children always this tiring?”

“Pretty much.”

I don’t know if it was simply a case of right place/right time or what, but I enjoyed this book so much. Alice (and her sister and grandmother) were relatable (and sometimes hilarious) and I ate it up . . . .

Really the only thing I didn't like was the whole "Gina" storyline. I didn't think it was particularly interesting, and it seemed like a copout for Alice becoming such a douche. This was also my first Liane Moriarty (I'm on an eternal library hold for Big Little Lies) and it seemed like she was trying to create some sort of "mystery" vibe rather than being willing to fully grab the Women's Fiction genre by the balls.

Super chick litty, but still bigly recommended.

My buddy Ron 2.0 tends to add a little inspirational song stylings to his reviews. Normally music doesn’t play in the background while I’m reading, but since I just discovered this is in the works to be a movie I haven’t been able to get “Once In A Lifetime” by the Talking Heads from playing on an endless loop . . . .

And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

Same as it ever was . . . . .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Alice Forgot.

December 18, 2013 – Shelved
January 10, 2017 – Shelved as: like-this-or-we-cant-be-friends
January 10, 2017 – Shelved as: or-just-watch-the-movie
January 10, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017
January 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Heather L Awesome! I don't care if Aunt Flo swayed your vote on this one...I'll take it!! And yes Alice, you do become an asshole. But I still love you, ya silly broad!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Heather L wrote: "Awesome! I don't care if Aunt Flo swayed your vote on this one...I'll take it!! And yes Alice, you do become an asshole. But I still love you, ya silly broad!"

This book made me wish I would have some sort of head trauma and go back to how I was at 30. I think all wives/moms probably get more dicky than they would like to admit as life goes on : (

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Great review. This book has been on my physical to read shelf for at least a year! Must get to it soon!

message 4: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Another 5 star? I'd say you're going soft in your old age. Not the other way around.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Great review. This book has been on my physical to read shelf for at least a year! Must get to it soon!"

Thanks Carol. I am definitely going to have to own a copy of this one : )

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ɗắɳ 2.❄ wrote: "Another 5 star? I'd say you're going soft in your old age. Not the other way around."

Wellllll, if GR offered half stars this wouldn't get the fully monty. My stomach is full of all the souls of trolls I've been consuming recently. Once that wears off I'll be back to my horrible self.

Oh, and I 1 Starred a book everyone else loved yesterday so I haven't lost my touch completely ; )

message 7: by Ellen Gail (new) - added it

Ellen Gail 5 stars!? You big softy. ;)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ellen Gail wrote: "I actually found a copy of Big Little Lies at my used book place the other day. For $2, I just couldn't resist. It's going to be my first Liane Moriarty."

That's a score! I hope you like it : )

message 9: by Megan (last edited Jan 10, 2017 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan Mitchell probably my favorite author right now! and so this might be my favorite book by her. her characters are SO relatable.

message 10: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Sold!
Awesome review, Kelly.
Thanks, Aunt Flo (you merciless bitch)!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Jilly wrote: "Sold!
Awesome review, Kelly.
Thanks, Aunt Flo (you merciless bitch)!"

If you hate it, blame anyone but me : )

message 12: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Great review and timing! My best friend's mother just gave me this book a week ago. :)

Deanna Yay! I'm glad you liked it!! Great review :D

Jennifer Oh I love this review and I loved Alice's story as well. I think it's a mom/wife/woman thing. We all can glance back a decade and notice changes already, some good some not so good. Alice's story (Agreed: Gina's part aside) is so relatable. I'm tempted to do a re-read.