Rachel's Reviews > The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Nov 29, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, novels

This book started slowly for me, and I actually picked it up, read the first couple of chapters, and put it down again several times before actually reading the whole thing. In the end, it was a cute book, and I liked it, but I don't really think it's deserving of all the crazy devotion and hype it's gotten.

The main character is a little bit unlikable at times, because her outlook is so pragmatic as to occasionally rob her of her humanity. That said, her responses to others, those who are not necessarily grounded in the real world, are often fun to read. And she is very obviously a good person, who wants to help others. Her methods for solving mysteries are pretty tried-and-true (nothing to make me leap out of my seat and rejoice in her cleverness), but the mysteries were not meant to provide all of the suspense or all of the appeal of the book, so it wasn't really a problem for me. All in all, a pretty good light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.