Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Dec 18, 2013

bookshelves: audio

When this book originally published last year, I was so excited about it. But then there was quite a bit of negative feedback. Readers had issues with Cheryl's promiscuity and past drug use, as well as all the navel-gazing that a memoir like this brings. So I put it off. I'm sorry I did, because this was an amazing story and one that struck a chord with me. I've not experienced the hardships that Cheryl did...a divorce, the loss of a mother at a young age, and a resulting life of self-destruction. But I can identify with her impulsive action of long-distance backpacking to rid herself of the demons. I think that is totally something I would do if I were pushed to a certain point. I loved Cheryl's honesty, I loved her determination, I loved her courage, I loved her stories of friends made on the trail and mishaps. This was a very inspirational book...refreshing...and a delight to listen to. The narration of Bernadette Dunne struck the perfect chord, and soon became the voice of Cheryl. Very highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

December 18, 2013 – Started Reading