Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > The Mark

The Mark by Jen Nadol

Nov 29, 2009

bookshelves: supernatural, paranormal, ya, 2010-debut, read-in-2010

Cassie Renfield has lived her entire life seeing this glow around some people. The glow could be explained away as a trick of the light, but the day that Cassie follows a man with the glow and watches him die her suspicions about the mark are confirmed. After the death of her Nan, Cassie leaves for an unfamiliar town with an unfamiliar relative and is confronted with the possibility that maybe seeing the mark is a curse, but it may also be her duty to do something about it.

I’ve been longing to read The Mark since I heard what it was about and Jen Nadol does not disappoint at all. She has created such a vivid world that is so much deeper than I imagined it would be. Cassie is instantly likable and I felt an incredibly strong connection with her from the moment she watches a man die. The plot is intense in that it poses the question “if you knew today was someone’s last, would you do something about it?” Cassie is in the difficult position of whether or not she should attempt to change what she views as fate.

After she moves to Bering, Kansas and enrolls in a philosophy course, her moral dilemma is compounded by her new philosophy major, TA boyfriend. What unfolds is a thought-provoking, ethically complex, and morally challenging story about a girl’s struggle to be normal while deciding if she should involve herself in someone’s last day. The Mark isn’t a fast-paced thriller, but it is quite the page turner. I loved every page and only wish there was even more to enjoy. Don’t go into this one expecting a light read. It will make you think. I’m still thinking about it and probably will for a while to come.

Opening line: There is nothing like the gut-hollowing experience of watching someone die, especially when you know it’s coming.

Favorite line: It always came back to that – my gut instinct that fate wasn’t meant to be tampered with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark.

November 29, 2009 – Shelved
January 22, 2010 – Started Reading
January 27, 2010 –
page 163
71.49% "Loving it so far. Much deeper than I expected. It really makes you question your morals."
January 28, 2010 – Shelved as: supernatural