Kellea's Reviews > Shaken and Stirred

Shaken and Stirred by Crystal Black Davis

bookshelves: novels-for-fun, black-authors
Recommended for: 30 and over, African American Women

At times, I caught a reflection of myself and my friends, in the characters of this book (Christian - the main character, Reese, Carra, and Celeste), and I thoroughly enjoyed the "diary" style that the book was written in. Shaken and Stirred is a modern book that highlights the ups and downs of young black professionals and their relationships with family, friends, and love interests. I especially enjoyed that the main character, Christian, is a successful entrepreneur and is very focused on her career, and the author does a great job of helping us catch a glimpse inside of the mind of a busy "superwoman" who has to try to balance her personal, business life, and her health; something that I believe all readers will be able to relate to. A surprising twist, is the subtle notion of spirituality dispersed lightly throughout the book, but it's not so much, that it hits you over the head with it, only allows the characters to question where they are on their personal journey.

Although the book flowed for the most part, and some of the relationship moments were somewhat predictable, it lulled a little in the middle, however, it picked up again towards the end, revealing a "fairy tale", sort of predictable, yet interesting ending. It did leave me wanting to know more about what happens to some of the characters and I hope the author will consider a Part II, as well as expand on some of the individual characters. I feel like we only got a glimpse of Christian's friends, only got to see them on the surface, and I would like to see a deeper revealing of who they are. Perhaps a series of sequels will be in order, highlighting each character separately.

Overall, I believe Shaken and Stirred is a good book, an easy read, and great for any woman, in her mid-30s, who has career and love in her mind, amidst all of the changes and decision making that has to be made as we hit this stage in life. Bravo to Crystal Black Davis!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shaken and Stirred.

November 29, 2009 – Shelved
November 29, 2009 – Shelved as: novels-for-fun
March 15, 2010 – Started Reading
March 19, 2010 – Shelved as: black-authors
page 42
9.33% "I love it so far, very smart, so not your typical Black chic lit, the author keeps it jumpin! I can't wait to read more."
page 53
11.78% "I love it so far, very smart, so not your typical Black chic lit, the author keeps it jumpin! I can't wait to read more."
page 75
page 75
16.67% "This is a great book so far, very modern, not cliche, and very real about the single life. love it!"
page 106
23.56% "Good so far, a few twists and turns."
March 21, 2010 –
page 141
31.33% "Interesting mix of successful, professionals As maine characters."
March 22, 2010 –
page 161
35.78% "A great mix of modern successful young professionals and story twists."
March 22, 2010 –
page 207
46.0% "Great so far, nice flow, easy to read, well written"
March 23, 2010 –
page 235
52.22% "exciting, very well written!"
March 23, 2010 –
page 269
59.78% "Ahhh, relationships, so many twists and turns"
March 24, 2010 –
page 285
63.33% "good reading on the bus trip!"
March 24, 2010 –
page 349
77.56% "Good reading tonight!"
March 26, 2010 –
page 365
81.11% "I like the dynamics of the relationships in the story line and it's getting juicy!"
March 27, 2010 – Finished Reading