Markus's Reviews > The Gathering Storm

The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan

bookshelves: wheel-of-time, 2016, fantasy

“Ravens and crows. Rats Mists and clouds. Insects and corruption. Strange events and odd occurrences. The ordinary twisted and strange. Wonders!

The dead are beginning to walk and some see them. Others do not, but more and more, we all fear the night.

These have been our days. They rain upon us beneath a dead sky, crushing us with their fury, until as one we beg: "Let it begin!"

-Journal of the Unknown Scholar, entry for The Feast of Freia, 1000 NE”

Tarmon Gai’don is looming. War, death and madness have become part of day-to-day life in the Westlands as the final struggle with the Shadow is at hand…

The Gathering Storm is the first of the three books written after the Creator’s passing. Brandon Sanderson does not disappoint, especially because his influence is practically invisible. There are differences, of course. But apart from the minor change in writing style, this is still very much Robert Jordan. Light be praised.

Storylines are finally moving towards an end. A couple of major revelations are dropped. And Egwene al’Vere is the obvious star of the show. Who would have thought?

“The end is near," Moridin said. "The Wheel has groaned its final rotation, the clock has lost its spring, the serpent heaves its final gasps.”

description

#11 Knife of Dreams
#12 The Gathering Storm
#13 Towers of Midnight
#14 A Memory of Light

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering Storm.

December 18, 2013 – Shelved
January 11, 2016 – Started Reading
January 13, 2016 –
8.0% "That was an absolutely stunning prologue..."
January 15, 2016 –
12.0% "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.\n \n I feel like I've read this before somewhere."
January 19, 2016 –
33.0% ""You are a coward and a tyrant. I'd name you Darkfriend as well, but I suspect that the Dark One would perhaps be embarrassed to associate with you."\n \n Buuuuuurrrrrn."
January 19, 2016 –
76.0% ""By the way, that dress you are wearing is green."\n \n Only people who have gotten to this point will understand how creepy that sentence is..."
January 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Sumant looks like you are on WOT readathon :D

Markus Sumant wrote: "looks like you are on WOT readathon :D"

Haha, yes. I'm debating whether to continue on and finish the series, or save the last two books.

message 3: by Sorina (new)

Sorina I just started the first one in the series. Seeing all these little previews makse me so excited for what is to come!

Markus Sorina wrote: "I just started the first one in the series. Seeing all these little previews makse me so excited for what is to come!"

Well, I'm glad to contribute to your excitement. It's an absolutely wonderful series.

Evgeny I would not call it the best one. I only gave it 3 stars. It was still decent enough. The difference between Jordan and Sanderson is too clear here.

Markus Evgeny wrote: "I would not call it the best one. I only gave it 3 stars. It was still decent enough. The difference between Jordan and Sanderson is too clear here."

I didn't think so. I thought Sanderson did a brilliant job. The writing is of course not quite as good, but all the action easily made up for it.

Choko Marcus, I am sooo with you on this one! Evgeny has been breaking my heart all day...:-)

Evgeny Choko wrote: "Marcus, I am sooo with you on this one! Evgeny has been breaking my heart all day...:-)"

The last book is great, I will give it to you :)

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen That quote gave me goosebumps! Awesome :)

Markus Choko wrote: "Marcus, I am sooo with you on this one! Evgeny has been breaking my heart all day...:-)"

Haha! Well, as I consider Robert Jordan the second best fantasy writer of all time, I was quite prepared to cut Sanderson some slack going into this.

Markus Kristen wrote: "That quote gave me goosebumps! Awesome :)"

I know, right? I love that character.

Allison Exactly what I felt when I finished this one! The best since Shadow Rising.

Lilyan save them! save them so we can finish the last book at the same time (seeing as you finish one book in a day and I've been taking my sweet ass time to get through the last one)

Markus Allison wrote: "Exactly what I felt when I finished this one! The best since Shadow Rising."

I'm glad we agree on that :)

Markus Lilyan wrote: "save them! save them so we can finish the last book at the same time (seeing as you finish one book in a day and I've been taking my sweet ass time to get through the last one)"

Haha, I'll consider it. Will probably save the last one in any case, but not guaranteeing anything.

message 16: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Nice review, Markus! I enjoyed the series up until the fourth book, but seeing as you think this one is the best since the former, I'm thinking maybe I should have finished it. What do you think? Does the series get better with The Shadow Rising ?

message 17: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan The Shadow Rising is one the best in the earlier books. It then goes steadily downhill until The Gathering Storm, IMO.

Markus Dustin wrote: "Nice review, Markus! I enjoyed the series up until the fourth book, but seeing as you think this one is the best since the former, I'm thinking maybe I should have finished it. What do you think? D..."

The series definitely gets better with The Shadow Rising in my eyes, as it's one of my two favourite WoT books (the other being The Eye of the World). There is the slow part from book 7-10, but in my eyes this is still the best fantasy series since LotR.

message 19: by Dustin (new)

Dustin TS wrote: "The Shadow Rising is one the best in the earlier books. It then goes steadily downhill until The Gathering Storm, IMO."

I appreciate your opinion, TS.

Mmm, I love The Eye of The World, man. And I love your passion for these books. I'm definitely considering a re-read of the earlier books, and continuing from there. There's something to be said about an unfinished book and/or series, you know?:) Thank you!

Markus Dustin wrote: "TS wrote: "The Shadow Rising is one the best in the earlier books. It then goes steadily downhill until The Gathering Storm, IMO."

I appreciate your opinion, TS.

Mmm, I love The Eye of The World,..."

My pleasure. I have indeed become quite passionate about this series, heh.

message 21: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan Dustin wrote: "TS wrote: "The Shadow Rising is one the best in the earlier books. It then goes steadily downhill until The Gathering Storm, IMO."

I appreciate your opinion, TS."

Thanks :)

message 22: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Markus wrote: "Dustin wrote: "TS wrote: "The Shadow Rising is one the best in the earlier books. It then goes steadily downhill until The Gathering Storm, IMO."

Mmm, I love The Ey..."

That's great, becoming passionate about books is one of the very best things in the world, IMO.

TS wrote: "Dustin wrote: "TS wrote: "The Shadow Rising is one the best in the earlier books. It then goes steadily downhill until The Gathering Storm, IMO."

I appreciate your opinion, TS."

Thanks :)"