Adam Silvera's Reviews > Red Queen

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

bookshelves: 2015-debuts, read-in-2014, 2018-reads, shelf-awareness-reviews, signed-copy, audiobook
Read 2 times. Last read May 8, 2018 to May 9, 2018.

Finished my reread on audio! Love the narrator. And this read was extra fun since I knew all the major twists and got to watch the characters barrel into danger and deception. Jumping into GLASS SWORD today for the first time. RED QUEEN binge, yay!

Here's a review I wrote back in 2015 for Shelf Awareness:

Victoria Aveyard's thrilling debut throws readers into a futuristic fantasy world of clashing countries, segregation and a rebellion that depends on a young thief.

In the country of Norta, the Feats of First Friday are held every month in city arenas. Champions with Silver blood compete against one another using their supernatural abilities to entertain audiences of other Silvers and the lowly, powerless Red bloods that serve them. Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red, knows these fights are meant as a reminder that any act of rebellion will lead to punishment or execution via the Silvers' many abilities--mind control, telekinesis and super strength among them.

To save herself and her war orphan friend, Kilorn, from conscription, Mare is pickpocketing Silvers in the small city of Summerton. There, a group of insurgents called the Scarlet Guard rise up against the Silvers, bombing a castle in the capital in the hopes of eliminating the Royal Court. She fails at her mission due to the ensuing riots, but an attempt to pickpocket a boy named Cal serendipitously lands her a job as a serving girl at the summertime castle of King Tiberias.

Mare learns Cal is the crown prince, set to marry another Silver girl, but that surprise is superseded by Mare's discovery that she possesses lightning talents that no Red has exhibited before. The court covers up her talents by posing Mare as a long-lost daughter of a Silver war hero, to be engaged to Cal's brother, Maven, which they hope will placate the rebels. But if one lie from the king can save her life, another lie may take it.

Class tensions run exceptionally high in this serie's first installment. Mare's suspicions keep her sharp throughout; even when she's aiding the Scarlet Guard in taking down the king, she remains wary of the rebels. ("Anyone can betray anyone," she often reminds herself.) She commits to the charade of Lady Mareena not for her own life, but to save her three brothers and Kilorn. Cinematic fights aplenty and deception amongst characters propel readers deeper into this world of power struggles. For the players who survive this first round, Aveyard sets the board for the sequel. A gripping, high-stakes game of power and betrayal, Red Queen is an easy pick for those seeking electrifying action and royal settings with a touch of romance.

ORIGINAL REVIEW IN 2014

Full review to come in January, but for now, know that one minute my feelings were here, the next minute they were over there, and then a storm rolled through and demolished everything I thought I knew and killed someone I love. You've been warned, friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Queen.

December 17, 2013 – Shelved
December 17, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 5, 2014 –
page 88
22.98% (Other Hardcover Edition)
December 6, 2014 –
page 107
December 6, 2014 – Shelved as: 2015-debuts
December 7, 2014 – Started Reading
December 7, 2014 –
page 143
37.34% "I would like a character card for Maven with the subtitle "The shadow of the flame", please and thank you."
December 8, 2014 –
May 9, 2018 – Shelved as: shelf-awareness-reviews
May 9, 2018 – Shelved as: signed-copy
May 9, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobook
May 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Melanie I'm reading my ARC copy as soon as I finish A Thousand Pieces Of You :D

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Ah I can't wait to read this one!!!

Sammie Yassss I loved the audiobook! So much fun to hear the words performed. Red Queen is such a great series to binge.

Nikki Sprinkle Can't wait to meet her in less than a week!

Layla Saloona correction