Laura's Reviews > Cress

Cress by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: favorites, ya, science-fiction, fantasy, dystopias, romance, wishlist

I'm going with a 3.5 on this one. It's probably slightly unfair of me but... sometimes I'm not rational when I'm rating books. It feels right so that's what I'm going with!

I guess first and foremost I should say that I had no idea there was a fourth one so I was fully expecting the story/rebellion to be wrapped up at the end of this book. I don't know what delusion I was under that I wanted the series to end that quickly but you already know I'm weird and clueless sooo... yeah with that out of the way let's get onto my review!

Even after I found out there's a fourth one, I still feel as though it ended rather abruptly. Like how you climb to the top of a big hill for a gorgeous view and then you pass out 2 seconds before you see over the top and your buddies carry you back down. I was reading and reading and suddenly, there weren't any more words!

I just thought of another rational explanation as to why I rated this book 3.5 stars! So you know Crescent, the girl who is trapped in the satellite and the one for which the books is named? Yeah THAT Crescent! I just felt like she didn't belong in Cinder's story although I know she plays a big role. I just don't thing the author did a good enough job of really giving her a place in the book. It seemed like Thorne and Cress were just a side show off in the desert while everyone else took care of the main plot. Also the bombshell with the doctor and Cress (people who read it know what I'm talking about!) felt forced and not incorporated into the book.

So all in all, a wonderful storyline and idea (this series is FANTASTIC!) but somehow it just seemed thrown together to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cress.

Quotes Laura Liked

Marissa Meyer
“It's all right," said Wolf. "You loved her. I would feel the same if someone wanted to erase Scarlet's identity and give it to Levana's army.

Scarlet stiffened, heat rushing into her cheeks. He certainly wasn't insinuating . . .

"Aaaaw," squealed Iko. "Did Wolf just say that he loves Scarlet? That's so cute!"

Scarlet cringed. "He did not--that wasn't--" She balled her fists against her sides. "Can we get back to these soldiers that are being rounded up, please?"

"Is she blushing? She sounds like she's blushing."

"She's blushing," Thorne confirmed, shuffling the cards. "Actually, Wolf is also looking a little flustered--”
marissa meyer, Cress

December 17, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 17, 2013 – Shelved
February 8, 2014 – Started Reading
February 8, 2014 –
0.0% "I just got the first 5 chapters free on amazon for the kindle! I ran out of book money so I won't be buying it for a few weeks :("
February 9, 2014 –
May 6, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 6, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
May 6, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 12, 2022 – Shelved as: wishlist

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

a  k Just recently finished this book. Hope you like it! ^o^

Laura Me too! I ran out of book money so it'll be a few weeks before I can buy it and read the entire thing :(

a  k Aw, that sucks. :( The series is so good though, right? I almost had a heart attack when I saw that my library already bought the book. (My library's kinda slow on that stuff, lol.)

Laura The series is amazing!! Hahaha aw that sucks :(

Shari-amor Ah see I felt the same about Crest. I didn't really feel like this was her story. Not like Scarlett who fit in the big scheme of things.

Laura Exactly!