Sarah's Reviews > Pretenders

Pretenders by Lisi Harrison

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers and Netgalley.)
5 teenagers, 5 diaries, what will happen?

Unfortunately, this book was just boring.

The characters –
Lily – certifiable (due to delusions). Originally told us she was 5-months pregnant with triplets, not sure if this was true, but if it was, why was she still going after other guys?
Vanessa – certifiable (due to inability to deal with reality). Totally focused on school, achievements, and grades. Also totally in denial about the state of her parent’s marriage.
Sheridan – certifiable (due to delusions of grandeur). Pretends her entire life is a movie scene, where she is a famous actress. Even when her life is nothing like a movie.
Duffy – Lacks intelligence. Who is stupid enough to accept dodgy clothes off a dodgy bloke, and $2500, with a promise to sell said dodgy clothes to friends? Yes, Duffy.
Jagger – certifiable (due to inability to come to terms with certain life events). Jagger seems to be having issues coming to terms with the fact that his parents are in jail, and probably shouldn’t spend so much time alone.

The storyline in this was just pitiful. There was the stupid storyline with Duffy, who was stupid enough to get himself involved with some crook, but as for other storylines I didn’t really find any.
This whole book was nothing more than 5 teenagers moaning, and moaning, and making stuff up, and making stupid decisions, and moaning some more. Ick. And if that wasn’t bad enough, the story didn’t even end. We got left with multiple cliff-hangers, and although I was pleased when the end appeared at 93% (yay! I don’t have to read any more!) Why wasn’t more resolved?! What was in the darn suitcase that Duffy found on his doorstep and called the police about?! Is Lily really pregnant?!
Urgh!
Overall; dull, filled with teenagers moaning, and had multiple cliff-hangers. Save me!
3 out of 10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretenders.

December 17, 2013 – Shelved
January 9, 2014 – Started Reading
20.0% "I am so bored :("
31.0% "still bored."
January 9, 2014 –
50.0% "bored, bored, bored."
January 9, 2014 –
69.0% ""Lady Gaga's rejects\n That's funny."
January 9, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jazel Lily isn't pregnant. She wrote a fake entry to see if her mom would believe it if she got the lock open.