Madison's Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

381995

bookshelves: own, sad-but-good

It's hard for me to write this review because I don't really know where to begin.

Basically whether you believe this is fiction or not that should not matter. If you believe this story is too far fetched to be true, then I must say that you are absolutely wrong, because my (recovering) drug addicted sister is "Alice", I am the innocent "Alex", and our family is the one that will always love her and always take her back. Stories like this absolutely exist in real life. My sister even started using at the same age as "Alice" so stuff like this does happen, even to good people.

This book should not be looked at as "anti-drug propaganda" but rather as a story of a true drug addict. This book illustrates addiction perfectly, for the addict and for his or her family.

A lot of the content is hard to stomach with the graphic imagery and language, but if you know an addict, or have one in your family, it is definitely what you can expect from people who revolve their life around drugs.

The only reason I didn't give this book 5 stars is because I like lighter books so much better than the dark ones. Nonetheless this book is very good if you choose to not be so shut off from the reality of this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.

Started Reading
October 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
October 19, 2007 – Shelved
October 19, 2007 – Shelved as: own
June 4, 2008 – Shelved as: sad-but-good

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Madison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Madison Anthony,

Thank you so much for your comment! I often retreat from posting my reviews because I fear the possible backlash I could get from other readers. You have put my fears to rest, (at least for now) and I am grateful.

So again thank you for your very kind comment and well wishes.

-Madison

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Daniel If you can write a review this good, Madison, and you are only 22, then I'm betting that there is a good probability you will make your mark in this literary jungle.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Katz Didn't "Alice" die at the end? How can she be "recovering"?

Madison Jennifer, note the parenthesis :)

I was speaking about my sister, who is not dead, thus she is "(recovering)". Obviously my sister's situation and "Alice's" are not identical, but their similarities, stories, and experiences are enough to prove that this account of drug abuse can actually happen.

Katie I'm glad to hear the story is not too far off the mark. After recently rereading it, I googled it to test it's authenticity and was greatly disappointed to find out that it was just a fabricated story. I've never been involved in drugs, so I have no way of knowing how valid this book is -- but, as horrible as it is that your family had to go through this, I'm relieved to know that this gripping story can still be a good lesson for teens.

Karen Kaiser I'm also relieved to hear that the story isn't crap. I see all these reviews calling it fake and crappy and completely fabricated, and I'm thinking that those people sound awfully close-minded. I've never done any of the things the diarist did, and I haven't talked in depth with anyone who has, but it seemed unlikely that those experiences were complete crap. So I'm glad to hear that it was pretty accurate, and I'm also glad that there's someone out there willing to defend a great book when it's being unjustly accused of being fake.

Sonia S I agree with you, this kind of things do happen in real life and as impossible it seem to be but, it does happen. I also think that the book should be illustrated as a true drug addict book, because I think all of the stuff that was mention in the book happens now a day’s more and more often with teenager.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily No one's saying that the things in this book don't happen because they still do as you, Madison know with dealing with your sister. But the reason people are calling it "fake" is because the "editor" of this book wrote a lot of it, if not all of it by herself. So it is not a "real" diary as it claims to be. Bascially it's the "A Million Little Pieces" of the 70s.

Laura Please accept my sympathies for your family's pain.

I disagree with your conclusion that it doesn't matter whether this book fiction or not. First of all, there's nothing ambiguous about it; it is fiction. And passing something off as the truth when it isn't does damage, even when the author is purportedly trying to pursue a worthy goal in doing so. If there's a worthy underlying message, surely you can find a true story to tell; in inventing one, all the author is doing is diminishing the experiences of those who have actually lived through drug addiction.

Edmund Davis-Quinn It's fiction, and it should clear state that, the fact that it didn't feel like a teenage voice to me made it clear.

Suzanne Peterson My issue with the book is that it was passed off as an actual diary, when it was obvious to every 12 year old in my jr high English class that it was a work of fiction, written by someone who tried and failed to capture a teenager's voice. It's fine to warn teens of the dangers of drug use. Just don't insult their intelligence - that lessens the effect.

message 12: by Kat (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat As a recovering heroin addict myself (not a person on the side lines,) I can attest to the fact that this IS crap. But, don't suddenly be "relieved" that it is or is not realistic based on one persons comment!

Mariama read her diary. enter her world you will never forget her. indeed thats true. i am not a big reader and honestly this book was the first book i ever read with the exeption of short stories. the minute i started reading iti just knew it was going to be a good book.this book is real i've never been expose to drugs and i am pretty shure i never met anyone whos an addict but this book makes you feel apart ot it it makes you feel dirty and sympathy for her and thats one of the things that makes agood book. a book that makes you wonna cry or scream out loud.i only sign up for good read because i had to but i just had to write a review about his book. i read it a long time ago but i still remenber it. it was and it still is the best book i have read its trully inspiring.

message 14: by Phil (new) - rated it 2 stars

Phil Alice is not the main character. Alice is one of the friends she met in San Francisco

Zorak The best review of this book I've seen all day.

message 16: by Ang (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ang I think her name was Carla because in the book she mentions someone saying that name, but there was no reference to the name or person afterwards or before

message 17: by Jaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaz Elise I agree I was like the main character of the book

Adélaïde ♡ Thank you for sharing your story !

Karina Great review... started reading it and no teenager talks like this. It's like a man trying to impersonate a teen.. no idea how! I'll give it a try

message 20: by Ann-Marie (new) - added it

Ann-Marie There is no "Alice" in the book. "Go ask Alice" is a line from the Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbitt." It is a song about hallucinogenic drugs, and it refers to Alice from " Alice in Wonderland. " The line is, "Go ask Alice when she's ten feet tall."

Addie Kelly I agree with this review, whether you believe the book is a true story, or could have never happened, it truly does. While the story has been edited before publishing, there are aspects in this story which are 100% true, and pieces that have been added for publishing. Some of my favorite parts of the book include pieces that may be untrue, such as the stories she hears from other kids in the psych ward. This is intriguing to me because it is proof there is other people out there, struggling with similar issues, and if it were completely untrue, she would not have been able to relate with others the way she did.