☼♄Jülie 's Reviews > The Currency Lads

The Currency Lads by Peter Yeldham

20814018

bookshelves: aussie-authors, australian-fiction, fiction, sydney, australian-historical-fiction

"Set in the bustling maritime world of 1830's Sydney, and spanning two decades, this is an unforgettable novel of loyalty and love that captures the spirit and energy of early Australia".
The cover description says enough without spoilers.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I have with other books by Peter Yeldham, I like his style of writing.
This fictional story gives a good description of what the early days of 1830's life in Sydney and surrounds were like, and is a good source of of information on how such terms as "Currency lads and lasses" were derived.

Highly recommended 4.5 ★s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Currency Lads.

February 1, 2010 – Started Reading
February 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 16, 2013 – Shelved
December 16, 2013 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
December 16, 2013 – Shelved as: australian-fiction
December 16, 2013 – Shelved as: fiction
December 16, 2013 – Shelved as: sydney
April 6, 2015 – Shelved as: australian-historical-fiction

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Nice review Jools! I haven't read anything by Peter Yeldham but would like to. Would you recommend with this one?

☼♄Jülie  Thanks Carolyn, I would recommend this. I love the style of Peter Yeldham's writing and I found there was much to learn from this book as well...which is always a bonus ;) How the Currency lads came to get that name is a fascinating historical story.

message 3: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Thanks Jools! It's on the tbr list and I should be able to fit it into a challenge :)

☼♄Jülie  Carolyn wrote: "Thanks Jools! It's on the tbr list and I should be able to fit it into a challenge :)"

Excellent...I hope you enjoy it :)