Fabian's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Thus it becomes crystal clear why this classic is a must for kids. Surely it stands on an even shelf with the Harry Potter series (take in mind: its a Millennial writing this review); it's ripe with conventions that can be cracked open in the classroom, where the love for literature begins for most American children. The emblematic character of Atticus Finch is a great figure--mysterious, righteous, progressive...completely just and good. Intelligent. As is Scout, the precocious girl who filters all the goings on in her sleepy Alabama town.

It is a pity I did not read this in middle school, when foundations are forged with human values and the artistic possibilities of storytelling. That being said, I cannot but smile at finally, at 28, having plowed through this-- a complicated and personal classic. It depicts a gone-with-the-wind America, it has a strong point-of-view, which is restricted and accurate (the character is alive & becomes an avatar of the impressed young reader him/herself), it is a history lesson, a lesson in civics and law, a segue toward laws and government, and, most importantly, it includes a lovable naivete which borders on the poetic; the coming-of-age strangeness, including body changes and adolescent yearnings, all of these are staples of THE YA novel. Because it includes pretty much each and every one, it is THE QUINTESSENTIAL YA book. It has aged, however, & it is easy to see where the conventions are deposited as if "To Kill..." were a rough patchwork quilt of American Literature musts.

December 16, 2013 – Started Reading
December 16, 2013 – Shelved
December 27, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri I can't believe that you are just now reading this. Never too late for such a classic. I find Harper Lee's relationship with Truman Capote fascinating as well.

message 2: by Fabian (last edited Jan 02, 2014 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fabian I know. But better late than never in the case of the classics! I totally like it but as a champion of YA fiction, I must say that I am a wee bit turned off by the prospect of writing one now (I mean, a young adult novel). Also, its amazing what age does for the reading of such lit--sometimes it tastes amazing and fresh (like my first reading of "Catcher in the Rye"), sometimes it has rotted a bit (like my second and last reading of "Catcher"), making it hard to distinguish why it is still read at all, other than people not reading other stuff. The discovery of not popular books that produce goosebumps is what being a reader is all about. I--gasp!--prefer "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" to "Mockingbird."
Happy new year!
Love,
F.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri Happy New year to you!
I am not a Catcher Fan and never was.
I am a fan of YA literature and love many books in the genre. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian is my current favorite. Have you read it? Love, Flick

Cecily I guess this and Potter are both YA, but other than that, I'm going to disagree and say they're pretty unalike. (But I like contrarian views.)

Greg Fabian, they are alike in that both have inspired millions of young adults to read, and no matter what, even if it's "Twilight" or "Hunger Games" inspiring someone to read is a great thing. Cecily, you are right in that they are very much unalike.

Fabian Terri wrote: "Happy New year to you!
I am not a Catcher Fan and never was.

"Contrarian views" is pretty much my purpose in this world. Grabbing two very different objects and pitting them against each other--that's the stuff! I feel like "Mockingbird" is THE epitome of YA... everyone mentions it like it was their last good read... I secretly believe its the last book they've read (and it was in middle school)!

Fabian Greg wrote: "Fabian, they are alike in that both have inspired millions of young adults to read, and no matter what, even if it's "Twilight" or "Hunger Games" inspiring someone to read is a great thing. Cecily,..." Yup. They create legions of future readers.

Kressel Housman Funny, but as young as Scout is, I think of the book as meant for adults.

message 9: by Mahdi (new)

Mahdi Rereading this book as an adult made me realize how truly beautiful and wonderful it is. It will forever be one of my favorites.