Adam 's Reviews > Summer of My German Soldier

Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene

Oct 18, 2007

did not like it
Recommended for: my worst enemy
Read in February, 2007

OK, I lied. THIS is the worst book I've ever been FORCED to read. Note to teachers, if you make your students read this, THEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM! Have you ever wondered why kids don't like reading? It's because of books like these. And, if you continue to say that this book ties in with whatever WWII lesson your teaching, then I truly feel sorry. Not for the teachers, but for the students. Plain and simple, this book sucks. To the teachers who make their kids read this, I advise you to turn yourselves into the police, because your torturing your students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of My German Soldier.

04/13/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Meaghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meaghan Um...why didn't you like the book? You never said.

message 2: by Adam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Adam Good point, you get 2 gold stars :) Anyway, I didn't like the book because it was too predictable (in romantic stories like this, the dude always bites the dust, check out Romeo & Juliet...), too boring, and all around bad. Hope that satisfies you.

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Boaz I think you both are insensitive.
This is a very well written book about young love written in the time period of WWII.
If you don't have taste for books like this (which its kind of obvious) then you shouldnt have wasted your time reading it in the first place. Don't cut it down.

Meaghan How are we to know whether we like the book or not unless we read it? I thought, from the jacket blurb, that it would be a good book. Then I read it and disliked it; is it a crime for me to say so? Isn't Goodreads a place to share your opinions about books you love AND hate?

message 5: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Boaz amen.
i read it in a class and liked it.
i didnt say it was wrong for you not to also..

sheesh.

Meaghan You said it was wrong for us to "cut it down" and called us insensitive for saying we didn't like the book.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Shoshanapnw wrote: "I agree that sometimes we are forced to read books we don't enjoy. I also mildly comment as a teacher that when I have a choice I don't assign books that I don't like, or that I don't think make a ..."

I'm not a teacher, but I do agree with this comment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking a book, but there is no way a teacher can pick out a book that every single student is going to enjoy.

If you're in school, (includes college) you're going to have to read things you don't like. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Although I will offer this: the teachers should be walking you through the book with discussions, so as long as you have good note taking skills, you should be able to pass, even if you don't absorb the book. (I've done that a few times.)

That being said, I was supposed to read this one in 7th grade. We ran out of time and I could never be bothered to try and finish it on my own.

Wendy I was not forces to read it like many of you. I read it by choice and actually was one of the books that has an major impact on me. I DO admit the books you are forced to read for school usually have the opposite impact educators want. Old Man and the Sea was actually painful for me to read. I hated it as a kid and tried to read it as a adult and still couldnt get through it. Lord of the Flies was also a negative impact. I am an AVID reader by the way. The best way I see to introduce "literature" is a more learning experience and God forbid more work for the teacher: Studying WW2? Give 5-10 choices and have lesson plans/exams catrered to those. I can think of at least a dozen of the top of my head that depict WW2 history.

message 9: by Briana (last edited Apr 04, 2012 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Briana I understand that most kids don't like to read cause they say its "boring" But I'm a bookworm and I LOVE books and of course to READ! But it's a free country so everyone has an opinon for everything! But as for my opinon on the book (which I recently checked out yesterday XD and is currently almost done sadly DX)I like it so far!! lol my mom recommended it and I finally found it in my school library! But it's really good! But again everyone has an opinon and it's true teachers can't choose which books for us to read they are told what they should give us to read and no I'm not a teacher but I want to be one someday (I just haven't decided which subject to teach just yet...)

Lisa I think this book is ok. I feel that any book you are forced to read for school is boric whether y

message 11: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby I first read this book in third grade and since them I have probably read it about four more times. It's a wonderful, tragic (wonderfully tragic?) well written story that really tugs at the heart strings and makes me sob like a baby every time I read it. Predictable? I don't think so. But maybe I'm not as cynical as some.

message 12: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie I had to read this book as a
Freshmen in high school and I credit it with my love for reading. It was the first book I ever fell in love with. I have read it numerous times since.

Sam Afton You said "I advise you to turn yourselves into the police, because your torturing your students."

Since when to police torture students?

Himani Patel Perhaps you feel that way because you were FORCED to read this book by a teacher you obviously did not like. I don't what exactly you find so 'predictable' about it but I first read it in middle school and cried. Such a beautiful, TRAGIC, story!

Sam Afton Agreed!!!

Sarah Jack Let's be perfectly honest, though; you probably are not the demographic that this book is aimed for. And that probably has a great deal to do with your opinion of it. Because I found it well-written and poignant, and it has stuck with me for the fourteen years since ninth grade, when I read it in English class. But these are the sorts of stories I like. I was in that demographic. Just because it wasn't to your tastes does not make it a bad book. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but to say that teachers who assign this novel to their classes are 'part of the problem' is maybe going a bit far, don't you think?

message 17: by Gwen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gwen Carlill Have you no ROMANCE in you? Jeez!

message 18: by Kaye (new)

Kaye Obviously they are not teaching too much grammar in schools these days. Two different people have used the word your instead of the contraction or you are which is you're.

Brenda Yttrup As a teacher, I understand why this wouldn't be a good choice - especially for boys. Sometimes it is just a good idea to go into it with an open mind, and look for those things you do like, instead of throwing out the whole thing. I can say that I tried to choose readings the majority would enjoy and benefit from, but I know that I wasn't always successful. Sorry this was such a bad experience for you.

Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜ Yes!! I was assigned this book in 8th grade along with Animal Farm. The latter one is much, much better.