Laura's Reviews > North Pole Reform School

North Pole Reform School by Jaimie Admans

Dec 16, 2013

Another brilliantly unique story by Jaimie. Who've thought you would get Santa Claus and Zombies together in the same story?!

Mistletoe really hates Christmas as her birthday falls on Christmas Eve and her Dad is too busy out playing Santa Claus to other children in her area. She also hates her name, what kind of parents call their child Mistletoe?! So she prefers to be called Mis. One night she is woken up by a purple moose sitting in the middle of her bed, telling her he is the Ghost of Christmases ruined come to take her to the North Pole Reform School. Here she meets the elves of the North Pole that want her to mend her ways and make her love Christmas again and the other people they have brought there to also make them hate Christmas less. Things aren't quite what they seem at the North Pole, with a horrible Santa Claus who seems more interested in his title than the spirit of Christmas and Mis may end to leaning more than just now to like Christmas!

As soon as I read about the purple moose turning up in Mistletoe's bedroom I knew I was going to like this! And it had extra zombies thrown in, but instead of this being a very strange addition to this festive story, it actually worked and we find they had a brilliant purpose towards the end.

I really liked Mis in this. She starts of a surly teenager just like the boy Luke that she meets, but slowly as she goes into each class that the elves make her do, we see her character change. Luke is also really likeable and you see why he and Mis hit it off so quickly. Their romance development is so lovely to read, but not in a soppy way.

There were also some really laugh-out-loud hilarious moments in this. Not great when your on a public train trying your hardest not to guffaw! This is the second novel I have read of Jaimie's and she has so far not failed to make me laugh. I love how Jaimie and throw in a bit of crazy in this, but still make it work.

The magic and real meaning of Christmas really shown through in this and it left me feeling really festive and feel good. A definite recommended read for Christmas!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North Pole Reform School.

Started Reading